AffiliationPost CCT Senior Clinical Fellow Gynaecological Oncology Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe standard care for endometrial cancer includes total hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, peritoneal washings with or without bilateral pelvic and/or paraaortic lymph node dissection/sampling with or without omental biopsy or omentectomy. The aim of this narrative review is to present the advantages of robotic surgery in combination with the enhanced recovery programme to offer better care to patients with endometrial cancer. The authors argue that a well-organised service for robotic hysterectomy should be set up in all hospitals. As part of this, an enhanced recovery programme including the following elements should be implemented: patient education, preoperative carbohydrate drinks, spinal or local analgesia, goal-directed fluid therapy, early feeding and intensive early mobilisation. The enhanced recovery programme includes pre, intra and postoperative changes in patient management. A comprehensive enhanced recovery programme starting in the preoperative setting and extending through to the patient's discharge, combined with robotic approach, could lead to optimal care of patients with endometrial cancer.
CitationEnhanced recovery programme in robotic hysterectomy. 2015, 24 Suppl 16:S4-8 Br J Nurs
JournalBritish Journal of Nursing
- Single site robotic sentinel lymph node biopsy and hysterectomy in endometrial cancer.
- Authors: Sinno AK, Fader AN, Tanner EJ 3rd
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- The value of laparoscopic surgery to stage gynecological cancers: present and future.
- Authors: Mettler L, Meinhold-Heerlein I
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Surgical and oncological outcome of robotic surgery compared to laparoscopic and abdominal surgery in the management of endometrial cancer.
- Authors: Corrado G, Cutillo G, Pomati G, Mancini E, Sperduti I, Patrizi L, Saltari M, Vincenzoni C, Baiocco E, Vizza E
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Comparison of outcomes and cost for endometrial cancer staging via traditional laparotomy, standard laparoscopy and robotic techniques.
- Authors: Bell MC, Torgerson J, Seshadri-Kreaden U, Suttle AW, Hunt S
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Robotic pelvic and aortic lymphadenectomy for endometrial cancer: the console surgeon's perspectives on surgical technique and directing the assistant.
- Authors: Seamon LG, Cohn DE, Richardson DL, Hurt JD, Nickerson EC, Fowler JM
- Issue date: 2010 Mar-Apr