Balloon cell urethral melanoma: differential diagnosis and management.
Slade, Richard J
Lambe, Gerard F
Sangar, Vijay K
AffiliationGynaecological Oncology Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction. Primary malignant melanoma of the urethra is a rare tumour (0.2% of all melanomas) that most commonly affects the meatus and distal urethra and is three times more common in women than men. Case. A 76-year-old lady presented with vaginal pain and discharge. On examination, a 4 cm mass was noted in the vagina and biopsy confirmed melanoma of a balloon type. Preoperative CT showed no distant metastases and an MRI scan of the pelvis demonstrated no associated lymphadenopathy. She underwent anterior exenterative surgery and vaginectomy also. Histology confirmed a urethral nodular malignant melanoma. Discussion. First-line treatment of melanoma is often surgical. Adjuvant treatment including chemotherapy, radiotherapy, or immunotherapy has also been reported. Even with aggressive management, malignant melanoma of the urogenital tract generally has a poor prognosis. Recurrence rates are high and the mean period between diagnosis and recurrence is 12.5 months. A 5-year survival rate of less than 20% has been reported in balloon cell melanomas along with nearly 20% developing local recurrence. Conclusion. To the best of our knowledge, this case is the first report of balloon cell melanoma arising in the urethra. The presentation and surgical management has been described and a literature review provided.
CitationBalloon cell urethral melanoma: differential diagnosis and management. 2015, 2015:919584 Case Rep Obstet Gynecol
JournalCase Reports in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Primary malignant melanoma of the urethra: a systematic analysis of the current literature.
- Authors: El-Safadi S, Estel R, Mayser P, Muenstedt K
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Primary malignant melanoma of the female urethra: Report of a rare neoplasm of the urinary tract.
- Authors: Bhutani N, Kajal P, Pawar D
- Issue date: 2017
- Malignant melanoma of urethra in a young female - Case report and Literature review.
- Authors: Das J, Radhakrishna N, K G, A Badhe B
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Female primary urethral carcinoma: A rare case report.
- Authors: Pratama ME, Ismy J, Kamarlis R, Mauny MP
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- [Mucosal melanoma primary and metastatic cases with urogenital localization in our department].
- Authors: Szabó B, Szűcs M, Horváth A, Székely E, Pánczél G, Liszkay G, Holló P, Wikonkál N, Nyirády P
- Issue date: 2019 Mar