Characterising cytotoxic agent action as a function of the cell cycle using fourier transform infrared microspectroscopy.
AffiliationUniv Manchester, Manchester Inst Biotechnol, Manchester 7DN UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) micro-spectroscopy measurements were acquired to study infrared signatures of chemotherapeutic response as a function of the cell cycle. Renal carcinoma Caki-2 cells were exposed to IC50 doses of 5-fluorouracil and Paclitaxel for a period of 24 hours. The inherent cell cycle infrared signatures from untreated and drug-treated cells were successfully retrieved by the construction of a robust SVM able to discriminate the cell cycle phases of this cell line with an average accuracy of 83.7%. The overriding infrared signature observed relates to an apoptotic biochemical response that does not appear to be correlated with the events affected by the drugs' mode of action or the cell cycle. Since apoptosis is a well conserved mechanism among living species, these results suggest that both the stages of proliferation as well as the absence/presence of apoptosis need to be taken into account in order to elucidate the fine biochemical details revealing the immediate cellular response to the drug in order to assign reliable spectral patterns of drug action.
CitationCharacterising cytotoxic agent action as a function of the cell cycle using fourier transform infrared microspectroscopy. 2015, 140 (13):4453-64 Analyst
- FTIR spectral signature of anticancer drugs. Can drug mode of action be identified?
- Authors: Mignolet A, Derenne A, Smolina M, Wood BR, Goormaghtigh E
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Synchrotron FTIR analysis of drug treated ovarian A2780 cells: an ability to differentiate cell response to different drugs?
- Authors: Flower KR, Khalifa I, Bassan P, Démoulin D, Jackson E, Lockyer NP, McGown AT, Miles P, Vaccari L, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 7
- Exploring the spectroscopic differences of Caki-2 cells progressing through the cell cycle while proliferating in vitro.
- Authors: Jimenez-Hernandez M, Hughes C, Bassan P, Ball F, Brown MD, Clarke NW, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 21
- Highlighting a need to distinguish cell cycle signatures from cellular responses to chemotherapeutics in SR-FTIR spectroscopy.
- Authors: Hughes C, Brown MD, Ball FJ, Monjardez G, Clarke NW, Flower KR, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 21
- Monitoring cell cycle distributions in MCF-7 cells using near-field photothermal microspectroscopy.
- Authors: Hammiche A, German MJ, Hewitt R, Pollock HM, Martin FL
- Issue date: 2005 May