KDM1 histone lysine demethylases as targets for treatments of oncological and neurodegenerative disease.
AffiliationOryzon Genomics S.A., Carrer Sant Ferran 74, 08940 Cornella de Llobregat, Barcelona,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistone methylation and demethylation are important processes associated with the regulation of gene transcription, and alterations in histone methylation status have been linked to a large number of human diseases. Initially thought to be an irreversible process, histone methylation is now known to be reversed by two families of proteins containing over 30 members that act to remove methyl groups from specific lysine residues present in the tails of histone H3 and histone H4. A rapidly growing number of reports have implicated the FAD-dependent lysine specific demethylase (KDM1) family in cancer, and several small-molecule inhibitors are in development for the treatment of cancer. An additional role has emerged for KDM1 in brain function, offering additional opportunities for the development of novel therapeutic strategies in neurodegenerative disease. A decade after the identification of KDM1A as a histone demethylase, the first selective inhibitors have now reached the clinic.
CitationKDM1 histone lysine demethylases as targets for treatments of oncological and neurodegenerative disease. 2015, 7 (4):609-26 Epigenomics
- A comprehensive review of lysine-specific demethylase 1 and its roles in cancer.
- Authors: Hosseini A, Minucci S
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Structural insights into histone lysine demethylation.
- Authors: Hou H, Yu H
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- The emerging role of histone lysine demethylases in prostate cancer.
- Authors: Crea F, Sun L, Mai A, Chiang YT, Farrar WL, Danesi R, Helgason CD
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 6
- Targeting histone lysine demethylases - progress, challenges, and the future.
- Authors: Thinnes CC, England KS, Kawamura A, Chowdhury R, Schofield CJ, Hopkinson RJ
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Expression, Purification, and Biochemical Analysis of the LSD1/KDM1A Histone Demethylase.
- Authors: Laurent B, Shi Y
- Issue date: 2016