MicroRNA-148a reduces tumorigenesis and increases TRAIL-induced apoptosis in NSCLC.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics and Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNonsmall cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is one of the leading causes of death worldwide. TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) has been shown to induce apoptosis in malignant cells without inducing significant toxicity in normal cells. However, several carcinomas, including lung cancer, remain resistant to TRAIL. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are small noncoding RNAs of ∼24 nt that block mRNA translation and/or negatively regulate its stability. They are often aberrantly expressed in cancer and have been implicated in increasing susceptibility or resistance to TRAIL-induced apoptosis by inhibiting key functional proteins. Here we show that miR-148a is down-regulated in cells with acquired TRAIL-resistance compared with TRAIL-sensitive cells. Enforced expression of miR-148a sensitized cells to TRAIL and reduced lung tumorigenesis in vitro and in vivo through the down-modulation of matrix metalloproteinase 15 (MMP15) and Rho-associated kinase 1 (ROCK1). These findings suggest that miR-148a acts as a tumor suppressor and might have therapeutic application in the treatment of NSCLC.
CitationMicroRNA-148a reduces tumorigenesis and increases TRAIL-induced apoptosis in NSCLC. 2015, 112 (28):8650-5 Proc Natl Acad Sci USA
JournalProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
- MiR-760 enhances TRAIL sensitivity in non-small cell lung cancer via targeting the protein FOXA1.
- Authors: Zhang X, Wang L, Liu Y, Huang W, Cheng D
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- MiR-494 is regulated by ERK1/2 and modulates TRAIL-induced apoptosis in non-small-cell lung cancer through BIM down-regulation.
- Authors: Romano G, Acunzo M, Garofalo M, Di Leva G, Cascione L, Zanca C, Bolon B, Condorelli G, Croce CM
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 9
- Lipid rafts and nonrafts mediate tumor necrosis factor related apoptosis-inducing ligand induced apoptotic and nonapoptotic signals in non small cell lung carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Song JH, Tse MC, Bellail A, Phuphanich S, Khuri F, Kneteman NM, Hao C
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 15
- MicroRNA-148a suppresses epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition by targeting ROCK1 in non-small cell lung cancer cells.
- Authors: Li J, Song Y, Wang Y, Luo J, Yu W
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- miR-130a targets MET and induces TRAIL-sensitivity in NSCLC by downregulating miR-221 and 222.
- Authors: Acunzo M, Visone R, Romano G, Veronese A, Lovat F, Palmieri D, Bottoni A, Garofalo M, Gasparini P, Condorelli G, Chiariello M, Croce CM
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 2