Neurocognitive Effects Following Cranial Irradiation for Brain Metastases.
AffiliationClinical Oncology, The University of Manchester, Manchester Cancer Research Centre, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAbout 90% of patients with brain metastases have impaired neurocognitive function at diagnosis and up to two-thirds will show further declines within 2-6 months of whole brain radiotherapy. Distinguishing treatment effects from progressive disease can be challenging because the prognosis remains poor in many patients. Omitting whole brain radiotherapy after local therapy in good prognosis patients improves verbal memory at 4 months, but the effect of higher intracranial recurrence and salvage therapy rates on neurocognitive function beyond this time point is unknown. Hippocampal-sparing whole brain radiotherapy and postoperative stereotactic radiosurgery are investigational techniques intended to reduce toxicity. Here we describe the changes that can occur and review technological, pharmacological and practical approaches used to mitigate their effect in clinical practice.
CitationNeurocognitive Effects Following Cranial Irradiation for Brain Metastases. 2015: Clin Oncol
- Neurocognition in patients with brain metastases treated with radiosurgery or radiosurgery plus whole-brain irradiation: a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Chang EL, Wefel JS, Hess KR, Allen PK, Lang FF, Kornguth DG, Arbuckle RB, Swint JM, Shiu AS, Maor MH, Meyers CA
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Hippocampal dosimetry correlates with the change in neurocognitive function after hippocampal sparing during whole brain radiotherapy: a prospective study.
- Authors: Tsai PF, Yang CC, Chuang CC, Huang TY, Wu YM, Pai PC, Tseng CK, Wu TH, Shen YL, Lin SY
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 10
- Hippocampal-sparing radiotherapy and neurocognitive impairment: A systematic literature review.
- Authors: Giuseppe ZR, Silvia C, Eleonora F, Gabriella M, Marica F, Silvia C, Mario B, Francesco D, Savino C, Milly B, Frezza GP, Maurizio Z, Morganti AG
- Issue date: 2020 Oct-Dec
- Re-irradiation of brain metastases and metastatic spinal cord compression: clinical practice suggestions.
- Authors: Maranzano E, Trippa F, Pacchiarini D, Chirico L, Basagni ML, Rossi R, Bellavita R, Schiavone C, Italiani M, Muti M
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug
- Focused attention on brain metastases.
- Authors: Knisely JP
- Issue date: 2009 Nov