A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of OSI-7904L, a liposomal thymidylate synthase inhibitor in combination with oxaliplatin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
AuthorsClamp, Andrew R
Valle, Juan W
Jayson, Gordon C
AffiliationCancer Research UK and University of Manchester Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK. Andrew.Clamp@christie.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: OSI-7904L is a liposomal formulation of a potent thymidylate synthase (TS) inhibitor. This phase I study evaluated the safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics (PK) of OSI-7904L administered in combination with oxaliplatin every 21 days in patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma. METHOD: A 3+3 study design was utilized at predefined dose levels. Polymorphisms in the TS enhancer region and XPD enzyme were investigated as potential predictors of efficacy and toxicity. RESULTS: Fourteen patients received 76 cycles of treatment. At the highest dose level (OSI-7904L 9 mg/m(2), oxaliplatin 130 mg/m(2)) investigated, one of nine patients experienced dose-limiting toxicity of grade 3 oral mucositis with cycle 1 and five further patients required dose reductions. The toxicity profile of stomatitis, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, sensory neuropathy and skin rash was consistent with that expected for a TS inhibitor/oxaliplatin combination regimen. PK analysis showed high interpatient variability with no detectable interaction between OSI-7904L and oxaliplatin. Partial radiological responses were documented in two patients. CONCLUSIONS: The recommended regimen for further investigation is OSI-7904L 9 mg/m(2) and oxaliplatin 130 mg/m(2).
CitationA phase I and pharmacokinetic study of OSI-7904L, a liposomal thymidylate synthase inhibitor in combination with oxaliplatin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. 2008, 61 (4):579-85 Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- Phase I, pharmacokinetic and biological correlative study of OSI-7904L, a novel liposomal thymidylate synthase inhibitor, and cisplatin in patients with solid tumors.
- Authors: Ricart AD, Berlin JD, Papadopoulos KP, Syed S, Drolet DW, Quaratino-Baker C, Horan J, Chick J, Vermeulen W, Tolcher AW, Rowinsky EK, Rothenberg ML
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 1
- Phase I study of OSI-7904L, a novel liposomal thymidylate synthase inhibitor in patients with refractory solid tumors.
- Authors: Beutel G, Glen H, Schöffski P, Chick J, Gill S, Cassidy J, Twelves C
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1
- Pharmacokinetics, safety, and efficacy of a liposome encapsulated thymidylate synthase inhibitor, OSI-7904L [(S)-2-[5-[(1,2-dihydro-3-methyl-1-oxobenzo[f]quinazolin-9-yl)methyl]amino-1-oxo-2-isoindolynl]-glutaric acid] in mice.
- Authors: Desjardins J, Emerson DL, Colagiovanni DB, Abbott E, Brown EN, Drolet DW
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- A randomised phase II study of OSI-7904L versus 5-fluorouracil (FU)/leucovorin (LV) as first-line treatment in patients with advanced biliary cancers.
- Authors: Ciuleanu T, Diculescu M, Hoepffner NM, Trojan J, Sailer V, Zalupski M, Herrmann T, Roth A, Chick J, Brock K, Albert D, Philip PA
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Oxaliplatin plus raltitrexed in patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma: results of a Phase I-II trial.
- Authors: Scheithauer W, Kornek GV, Ulrich-Pur H, Penz M, Raderer M, Salek T, Haider K, Kwasny W, Depisch D
- Issue date: 2001 Apr 1