Developmental-stage-dependent transcriptional response to leukaemic oncogene expression.
AffiliationSchool of Cancer Sciences, Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Birmingham
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAcute myeloid leukaemia (AML) is characterized by a block in myeloid differentiation the stage of which is dependent on the nature of the transforming oncogene and the developmental stage of the oncogenic hit. This is also true for the t(8;21) translocation that gives rise to the RUNX1-ETO fusion protein and initiates the most common form of human AML. Here we study the differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells expressing an inducible RUNX1-ETO gene into blood cells as a model, combined with genome-wide analyses of transcription factor binding and gene expression. RUNX1-ETO interferes with both the activating and repressive function of its normal counterpart, RUNX1, at early and late stages of blood cell development. However, the response of the transcriptional network to RUNX1-ETO expression is developmental stage specific, highlighting the molecular mechanisms determining specific target cell expansion after an oncogenic hit.
CitationDevelopmental-stage-dependent transcriptional response to leukaemic oncogene expression. 2015, 6:7203 Nat Commun
- Depletion of RUNX1/ETO in t(8;21) AML cells leads to genome-wide changes in chromatin structure and transcription factor binding.
- Authors: Ptasinska A, Assi SA, Mannari D, James SR, Williamson D, Dunne J, Hoogenkamp M, Wu M, Care M, McNeill H, Cauchy P, Cullen M, Tooze RM, Tenen DG, Young BD, Cockerill PN, Westhead DR, Heidenreich O, Bonifer C
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Targeting the oligomerization domain of ETO interferes with RUNX1/ETO oncogenic activity in t(8;21)-positive leukemic cells.
- Authors: Wichmann C, Chen L, Heinrich M, Baus D, Pfitzner E, Zörnig M, Ottmann OG, Grez M
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 1
- AML1-ETO downregulates the granulocytic differentiation factor C/EBPalpha in t(8;21) myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Pabst T, Mueller BU, Harakawa N, Schoch C, Haferlach T, Behre G, Hiddemann W, Zhang DE, Tenen DG
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- RUNX1-Evi-1 fusion gene inhibited differentiation and apoptosis in myelopoiesis: an in vivo study.
- Authors: Shen L, Zhu J, Chen F, Lin W, Cai J, Zhong J, Zhong H
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 16
- Expression of a conditional AML1-ETO oncogene bypasses embryonic lethality and establishes a murine model of human t(8;21) acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Higuchi M, O'Brien D, Kumaravelu P, Lenny N, Yeoh EJ, Downing JR
- Issue date: 2002 Feb