The Basal Transcription Complex Component TAF3 Transduces Changes in Nuclear Phosphoinositides into Transcriptional Output.
van Pelt, J
AffiliationThe Inositide Laboratory, Centre for Biological Sciences, Highfield Campus, University of Southampton, Southampton
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhosphoinositides (PI) are important signaling molecules in the nucleus that influence gene expression. However, if and how nuclear PI directly affects the transcriptional machinery is not known. We report that the lipid kinase PIP4K2B regulates nuclear PI5P and the expression of myogenic genes during myoblast differentiation. A targeted screen for PI interactors identified the PHD finger of TAF3, a TATA box binding protein-associated factor with important roles in transcription regulation, pluripotency, and differentiation. We show that the PI interaction site is distinct from the known H3K4me3 binding region of TAF3 and that PI binding modulates association of TAF3 with H3K4me3 in vitro and with chromatin in vivo. Analysis of TAF3 mutants indicates that TAF3 transduces PIP4K2B-mediated alterations in PI into changes in specific gene transcription. Our study reveals TAF3 as a direct target of nuclear PI and further illustrates the importance of basal transcription components as signal transducers.
CitationThe Basal Transcription Complex Component TAF3 Transduces Changes in Nuclear Phosphoinositides into Transcriptional Output. 2015, 58 (3):453-67 Mol Cell
- Selective anchoring of TFIID to nucleosomes by trimethylation of histone H3 lysine 4.
- Authors: Vermeulen M, Mulder KW, Denissov S, Pijnappel WW, van Schaik FM, Varier RA, Baltissen MP, Stunnenberg HG, Mann M, Timmers HT
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 5
- Structural insight into the recognition of the H3K4me3 mark by the TFIID subunit TAF3.
- Authors: van Ingen H, van Schaik FM, Wienk H, Ballering J, Rehmann H, Dechesne AC, Kruijzer JA, Liskamp RM, Timmers HT, Boelens R
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 6
- A phospho/methyl switch at histone H3 regulates TFIID association with mitotic chromosomes.
- Authors: Varier RA, Outchkourov NS, de Graaf P, van Schaik FM, Ensing HJ, Wang F, Higgins JM, Kops GJ, Timmers HT
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 1
- Subnuclear segregation of genes and core promoter factors in myogenesis.
- Authors: Yao J, Fetter RD, Hu P, Betzig E, Tjian R
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 15
- H3K4me3 interactions with TAF3 regulate preinitiation complex assembly and selective gene activation.
- Authors: Lauberth SM, Nakayama T, Wu X, Ferris AL, Tang Z, Hughes SH, Roeder RG
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 28