Variations in single/two stage thyroidectomies for cancer may be due to differences in thyroid fine needle cytology provision.
AffiliationUniversity of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecommended treatment for thyroid cancers >10 mm is single stage total thyroidectomy (SST). Cancers diagnosed by diagnostic lobectomy may need completion surgery resulting in two stage thyroidectomies (TST). We noticed significant variation in numbers of SST and TST between hospitals within our cancer network and explored reasons for this using a prospective database containing all cases from 2004 to 2011 (n = 1030). We therefore conducted a survey of thyroid cytology provision across the network during 2010-2011.
CitationVariations in single/two stage thyroidectomies for cancer may be due to differences in thyroid fine needle cytology provision. 2015: Eur J Surg Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Surgical Oncology
- A clinical algorithm for fine-needle aspiration molecular testing effectively guides the appropriate extent of initial thyroidectomy.
- Authors: Yip L, Wharry LI, Armstrong MJ, Silbermann A, McCoy KL, Stang MT, Ohori NP, LeBeau SO, Coyne C, Nikiforova MN, Bauman JE, Johnson JT, Tublin ME, Hodak SP, Nikiforov YE, Carty SE
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Follow-up of atypia and follicular lesions of undetermined significance in thyroid fine needle aspiration cytology.
- Authors: Dincer N, Balci S, Yazgan A, Guney G, Ersoy R, Cakir B, Guler G
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid: correlating suspicious cytology results with histological outcomes.
- Authors: Baynes AL, Del Rio A, McLean C, Grodski S, Yeung MJ, Johnson WR, Serpell JW
- Issue date: 2014 May
- The impact of synoptic cytology reporting on fine-needle aspiration cytology of thyroid nodules.
- Authors: Tsan CJ, Serpell JW, Poh YY
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of a spindle epithelial tumour with thymus-like differentiation (SETTLE) occurring in the thyroid.
- Authors: Kaur J, Srinivasan R, Kakkar N
- Issue date: 2012 Dec