FISHing Tips: What Every Clinician Should Know About 1p19q Analysis in Gliomas Using Fluorescence in situ Hybridisation.
AuthorsPinkham, Mark B
Whitfield, Gillian A
Colaco, Rovel J
McBain, Catherine A
AffiliationClinical Oncology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract1p19q co-deletion is a chromosomal alteration associated with primary brain tumours of oligodendroglial histology. It is an established predictive and prognostic biomarker that informs whether patients are offered radiotherapy, chemotherapy or both. In the near future, 1p19q co-deletion status may also be incorporated into the reclassification of gliomas. Analysis is commonly carried out using fluorescence in situ hybridisation (FISH) because it is a reliable and validated laboratory technique. The result is generally considered to be dichotomous (1p19q co-deletion present or absent), but there are subtleties in interpretation that are of clinical relevance. Separate centres may interpret certain chromosome deletion patterns differently. Pivotal trials in mixed and pure anaplastic oligodendrogliomas have used slightly different FISH probe ratios as the cut-off for chromosome deletion. Here we review the clinical implications of this variability and review the process of 1p19q co-deletion assessment using FISH in gliomas from a clinician's perspective. We also consider common alternative methods of analysis.
CitationFISHing Tips: What Every Clinician Should Know About 1p19q Analysis in Gliomas Using Fluorescence in situ Hybridisation. 2015: Clin Oncol
- Treatment Outcomes in 1p19q Co-deleted/Partially Deleted Gliomas.
- Authors: McNamara MG, Jiang H, Lim-Fat MJ, Sahebjam S, Kiehl TR, Karamchandani J, Coire C, Chung C, Millar BA, Laperriere N, Mason WP
- Issue date: 2017 May
- 1p19q LOH patterns and expression of p53 and Olig2 in gliomas: relation with histological types and prognosis.
- Authors: Durand KS, Guillaudeau A, Weinbreck N, DeArmas R, Robert S, Chaunavel A, Pommepuy I, Bourthoumieu S, Caire F, Sturtz FG, Labrousse FJ
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- [Diagnostic and prognostic values of 1p and 19q deletions in adult gliomas: critical review of the literature and implications in daily clinical practice].
- Authors: Fontaine D, Vandenbos F, Lebrun C, Paquis V, Frenay M
- Issue date: 2008 Jun-Jul
- alpha-Internexin expression identifies 1p19q codeleted gliomas.
- Authors: Ducray F, Crinière E, Idbaih A, Mokhtari K, Marie Y, Paris S, Navarro S, Laigle-Donadey F, Dehais C, Thillet J, Hoang-Xuan K, Delattre JY, Sanson M
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 13
- Quantitation of chromosome 1p and 19q deletions in glial tumours by interphase FISH on formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue.
- Authors: Gonzales M, Dale S, Susman M, Mills J
- Issue date: 2006 Jan