Which venous system to choose for anastomosis in head and neck reconstructions?
AuthorsRoss, Gary L
Ang, Erik S W
Novak, Christine B
Lipa, Joan E
Gullane, Patrick J
Neligan, Peter C
AffiliationDepartment of Head and Neck Surgery, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt has been postulated that venous thrombosis in free flap surgery necessitates the use of 2 venous anastomoses into different venous systems.We retrospectively analyzed a single surgeon's 10-year experience (August 1993 to August 2003) in primary free flap reconstruction for malignant tumors of the head and neck. Of 492 primary reconstructions that did not need a vein graft, vein loop, or cephalic turnover procedure, 251 used the internal jugular venous system as venous outflow, 140 used the subclavian system as outflow, and 101 used both.Two hundred thirty-eight of 251 (95%) of flaps utilizing the internal jugular venous system for outflow were successful compared with 129 of 140 (92%) of flaps utilizing the subclavian system. Where both venous systems were used the success rate was 101 of 101 (100%) (P < 0.05).Where possible, a second venous anastomosis should be performed utilizing both venous drainage systems.
CitationWhich venous system to choose for anastomosis in head and neck reconstructions? 2008, 61 (4):396-8 Ann Plast Surg
JournalAnnals of Plastic Surgery
- Ten-year experience of free flaps in head and neck surgery. How necessary is a second venous anastomosis?
- Authors: Ross GL, Ang ES, Lannon D, Addison P, Golger A, Novak CB, Lipa JE, Gullane PJ, Neligan PC
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Internal jugular vein versus external jugular vein anastamosis: implications for successful free tissue transfer.
- Authors: Chalian AA, Anderson TD, Weinstein GS, Weber RS
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Venous thrombosis after microvascular free-tissue transfer in head and neck cancer reconstruction.
- Authors: Fukuiwa T, Nishimoto K, Hayashi T, Kurono Y
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Use of the external jugular vein as the sole recipient vein in head and neck free flap reconstruction.
- Authors: Hong P, Taylor SM, Trites JR, Maclean J, Hart RD
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Superiority of end-to-side anastomosis with the internal jugular vein: the experience of 80 cases in head and neck microsurgical reconstruction.
- Authors: Yamamoto Y, Nohira K, Kuwahara H, Sekido M, Furukawa H, Sugihara T
- Issue date: 1999 Mar