AffiliationAcademic Radiation Oncology, The University of Manchester, Christie Hospital, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expression is a feature of human tumours and is an adverse prognostic factor for radiotherapy outcome. High expression is associated with benefit from accelerated radiotherapy in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Anti-EGFR strategies potentiate the effects of radiotherapy and the inhibition of deoxyribonucleic acid repair appears to be important amongst a wide range of mechanisms, which include effects on angiogenesis, differentiation and the immunological response. There is considerable interest in exploring combined modality therapies involving radiation and EGFR antagonists for the curative treatment of cancer patients. Important issues in designing new trials are to investigate optimal scheduling and to establish biobanks to develop biomarkers for future patient selection.
CitationEpidermal growth factor receptor-targeted therapy. 2008, 81 Spec No 1:S36-44 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Modulation of radiation response after epidermal growth factor receptor blockade in squamous cell carcinomas: inhibition of damage repair, cell cycle kinetics, and tumor angiogenesis.
- Authors: Huang SM, Harari PM
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Emerging role of EGFR-targeted therapies and radiation in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Song J, Chen C, Raben D
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor. Trials in head and neck and lung cancer.
- Authors: Saba NF, Khuri FR, Shin DM
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- The efficacy of combined treatment with cetuximab (erbitux) and radiation therapy in patients with head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Koukourakis G, Kouloulias V, Koukourakis M, Kouvaris J, Zacharias G, Gouliamos A
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Mar
- Molecular-targeted therapies in the treatment of squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck.
- Authors: Le Tourneau C, Siu LL
- Issue date: 2008 May