AffiliationCentral Manchester and Manchester Childrens' Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK; The Dermatology Centre, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTreatment of giant basal cell carcinomas (GBCC) can pose several challenges. In such instances, use of routine and recommended treatments for sporadic, average size basal cell carcinomas (BCC) is suboptimal, impractical and often leads to treatment failure. Surgical excision of such large lesions results in marked intra and postoperative morbidity. While individually, photodynamic therapy, topical imiquimod and surgical excision are all established treatments for BCC, their combined use in the treatment of GBCC has not been explored. Three patients with histologically proven GBCC were sequentially treated with three cycles of metvix photodynamic therapy followed by a 6-week course of topical imiquimod. This led to a reduction in the size of these lesions which were subsequently excised.
CitationSequential treatment of giant basal cell carcinomas. 2008: 1-5 J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg
JournalJournal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
- Giant and large basal cell carcinoma treated with topical photodynamic therapy.
- Authors: Eibenschutz L, Marenda S, Buccini P, De Simone P, Ferrari A, Mariani G, Silipo V, Catricalà C
- Issue date: 2008 Nov-Dec
- Complete remission of nodular basal cell carcinoma after combined treatment with photodynamic therapy and imiquimod 5% cream.
- Authors: Devirgiliis V, Panasiti V, Curzio M, Gobbi S, Rossi M, Roberti V, Calvieri S
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 28
- Treatment of basal cell carcinoma with topical methylaminolaevulinate photodynamic therapy in an organ-transplant recipient.
- Authors: Perrett CM, Tan SK, Cerio R, Goldsmith PC, McGregor JM, Proby CM, Harwood CA
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Photodynamic therapy with topical methyl aminolaevulinate for 'difficult-to-treat' basal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Vinciullo C, Elliott T, Francis D, Gebauer K, Spelman L, Nguyen R, Weightman W, Sheridan A, Reid C, Czarnecki D, Murrell D
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Photodynamic therapy and imiquimod immunotherapy for basal cell carcinomas.
- Authors: Nikkels AF, Piérard-Franchimont C, Nikkels-Tassoudji N, Bourguignon R, Piérard GE
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct