AffiliationCentral Manchester and Manchester Childrens' Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK; The Dermatology Centre, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTreatment of giant basal cell carcinomas (GBCC) can pose several challenges. In such instances, use of routine and recommended treatments for sporadic, average size basal cell carcinomas (BCC) is suboptimal, impractical and often leads to treatment failure. Surgical excision of such large lesions results in marked intra and postoperative morbidity. While individually, photodynamic therapy, topical imiquimod and surgical excision are all established treatments for BCC, their combined use in the treatment of GBCC has not been explored. Three patients with histologically proven GBCC were sequentially treated with three cycles of metvix photodynamic therapy followed by a 6-week course of topical imiquimod. This led to a reduction in the size of these lesions which were subsequently excised.
CitationSequential treatment of giant basal cell carcinomas. 2008: 1-5 J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg
JournalJournal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
- Photodynamic therapy versus topical imiquimod versus topical fluorouracil for treatment of superficial basal-cell carcinoma: a single blind, non-inferiority, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Arits AH, Mosterd K, Essers BA, Spoorenberg E, Sommer A, De Rooij MJ, van Pelt HP, Quaedvlieg PJ, Krekels GA, van Neer PA, Rijzewijk JJ, van Geest AJ, Steijlen PM, Nelemans PJ, Kelleners-Smeets NW
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Photodynamic therapy vs. topical imiquimod for treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma: a subgroup analysis within a noninferiority randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Roozeboom MH, Nelemans PJ, Mosterd K, Steijlen PM, Arits AH, Kelleners-Smeets NW
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Giant and large basal cell carcinoma treated with topical photodynamic therapy.
- Authors: Eibenschutz L, Marenda S, Buccini P, De Simone P, Ferrari A, Mariani G, Silipo V, Catricalà C
- Issue date: 2008 Nov-Dec
- Complete remission of nodular basal cell carcinoma after combined treatment with photodynamic therapy and imiquimod 5% cream.
- Authors: Devirgiliis V, Panasiti V, Curzio M, Gobbi S, Rossi M, Roberti V, Calvieri S
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 28
- Treatment of basal cell carcinoma with topical methylaminolaevulinate photodynamic therapy in an organ-transplant recipient.
- Authors: Perrett CM, Tan SK, Cerio R, Goldsmith PC, McGregor JM, Proby CM, Harwood CA
- Issue date: 2006 Jan