On the maturation of megakaryocytes: a review with original observations on human in vivo cells emphasizing morphology and ultrastructure.
AffiliationState Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, Peking Union Medical College, Institute of Hematology & Blood Diseases Hospital , Beijing , China.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMegakaryocytes engage in the synthesis of a variety of molecular and macromolecular constituents to build-up characteristic megakaryocyte structure and form proplatelets in a series of cells from megakaryocyte precursors to the fully matured cell. The process is illustrated in this review by light microscope morphology and transmission electron microscopy, which emphasizes new findings in human in vivo megakaryocytes, thereby making a contrast with the abundant literature on megakaryocytes from experimental animal and human in vitro material. Four stages are identified and described, based on the development of characteristic structures including α-granules, dense granules (dense-core granules), the demarcation membrane system (DMS), and proplatelets. The mechanism of DMS development is discussed, in terms of hypotheses suggesting origin from the plasma membrane, and contributions of membrane from the Golgi apparatus and endoplasmic reticulum. The formation of the marginal zone is also discussed, which is suggested to result from a circumscription of the peripheral organelle-free cytoplasmic fringe by peripheral circular cytoskeletal elements such as cytoplasmic actin and microtubules.
CitationOn the maturation of megakaryocytes: a review with original observations on human in vivo cells emphasizing morphology and ultrastructure. 2015, 39 (2):79-87 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Disruption of microtubules in vivo by vincristine induces large membrane complexes and other cytoplasmic abnormalities in megakaryocytes and platelets of normal rats like those in human and Wistar Furth rat hereditary macrothrombocytopenias.
- Authors: Stenberg PE, McDonald TP, Jackson CW
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- Platelet production of megakaryocyte: A review with original observations on human in vivo cells and bone marrow.
- Authors: Ru YX, Dong SX, Liang HY, Zhao SX
- Issue date: 2016 Jul-Aug
- Ultrastructure of platelet formation by human megakaryocytes cultured with the Mpl ligand.
- Authors: Cramer EM, Norol F, Guichard J, Breton-Gorius J, Vainchenker W, Massé JM, Debili N
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 1
- A novel aspect of the maturational step of megakaryocytes in thrombopoiesis: bundle formation of microtubules in megakaryocytes.
- Authors: Tajika K, Ikebuchi K, Suzuki E, Okano A, Hirashima K, Hirosawa K, Nakahata T, Asano S
- Issue date: 1996 Feb
- Blood platelets are assembled principally at the ends of proplatelet processes produced by differentiated megakaryocytes.
- Authors: Italiano JE Jr, Lecine P, Shivdasani RA, Hartwig JH
- Issue date: 1999 Dec 13