Modular synthesis of heparin-related tetra-, hexa- and octasaccharides with differential o-6 protections: programming for regiodefined 6-o-modifications.
AffiliationManchester Institute of Biotechnology and the School of Chemistry, 131 Princess Street, The University of Manchester, Manchester M1 7DN, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeparin and heparan sulphate (H/HS) are important members of the glycosaminoglycan family of sugars that regulate a substantial number of biological processes. Such biological promiscuity is underpinned by hetereogeneity in their molecular structure. The degree of O-sulfation, particularly at the 6-position of constituent D-GlcN units, is believed to play a role in modulating the effects of such sequences. Synthetic chemistry is essential to be able to extend the diversity of HS-like fragments with defined molecular structure, and particularly to deconvolute the biological significance of modifications at O6. Here we report a synthetic approach to a small matrix of protected heparin-type oligosaccharides, containing orthogonal D-GlcN O-6 protecting groups at programmed positions along the chain, facilitating access towards programmed modifications at specific sites, relevant to sulfation or future mimetics.
CitationModular synthesis of heparin-related tetra-, hexa- and octasaccharides with differential o-6 protections: programming for regiodefined 6-o-modifications. 2015, 20 (4):6167-80 Molecules
- Synthetic Approaches to L-Iduronic Acid and L-Idose: Key Building Blocks for the Preparation of Glycosaminoglycan Oligosaccharides.
- Authors: Mohamed S, Ferro V
- Issue date: 2015
- Detection of 2-O-sulfated iduronate and N-acetylglucosamine units in heparan sulfate by an antibody selected against acharan sulfate (IdoA2S-GlcNAc)n.
- Authors: ten Dam GB, van de Westerlo EM, Smetsers TF, Willemse M, van Muijen GN, Merry CL, Gallagher JT, Kim YS, van Kuppevelt TH
- Issue date: 2004 Sep 10
- Improved de novo sequencing of heparin/heparan sulfate oligosaccharides by propionylation of sites of sulfation.
- Authors: Liang Q, Chopra P, Boons GJ, Sharp JS
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 30
- Minimum FGF2 binding structural requirements of heparin and heparan sulfate oligosaccharides as determined by NMR spectroscopy.
- Authors: Guglier S, Hricovíni M, Raman R, Polito L, Torri G, Casu B, Sasisekharan R, Guerrini M
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 30
- An approach for separation and complete structural sequencing of heparin/heparan sulfate-like oligosaccharides.
- Authors: Huang R, Liu J, Sharp JS
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 18