Successful delivery of chemotherapy to treat small-cell prostate cancer in a patient undergoing haemodialysis.
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust , Manchester , UKThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust , Manchester , UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report on the successful treatment of small-cell prostate cancer in a patient undergoing haemodialysis. The therapeutic regimen included 300 mg/m(2) of carboplatin and 50 mg/m(2) of etoposide coupled with radical radiotherapy. Adjustments to the patient's haemodialysis prescription included the use of high flux, a larger dialyser surface area and an increased dialysis time. The parameters used aided tolerance to the drug, allowing the delivery of safe, effective treatment. At an interval of over 12 months post-treatment the patient shows no clinical evidence of recurrent disease. This case provides evidence to encourage the use of chemotherapy in otherwise potentially undertreated haemodialysed patients.
CitationSuccessful delivery of chemotherapy to treat small-cell prostate cancer in a patient undergoing haemodialysis. 2014, 7 (6):593-4 Clin Kidney J
JournalClinical Kidney Journal
- Carboplatin-etoposide combination chemotherapy in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: A retrospective study.
- Authors: Caubet M, Dobi E, Pozet A, Almotlak H, Montcuquet P, Maurina T, Mouillet G, N'guyen T, Stein U, Thiery-Vuillemin A, Fiteni F
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Maintaining residual renal function in patients on haemodialysis: 5-year experience using a progressively increasing dialysis regimen.
- Authors: Fernández-Lucas M, Teruel-Briones JL, Gomis-Couto A, Villacorta-Pérez J, Quereda-Rodríguez-Navarro C
- Issue date: 2012
- Treatment of relapsed aggressive lymphomas: regimens with and without high-dose therapy and stem cell rescue.
- Authors: Hagemeister FB
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Barriers to successful implementation of care in home haemodialysis (BASIC-HHD):1. Study design, methods and rationale.
- Authors: Jayanti A, Wearden AJ, Morris J, Brenchley P, Abma I, Bayer S, Barlow J, Mitra S
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 17
- Treatment of germ cell cancer with two cycles of high-dose ifosfamide, carboplatin, and etoposide with autologous stem-cell support.
- Authors: Margolin K, Doroshow JH, Ahn C, Hamasaki V, Leong L, Morgan R, Raschko J, Shibata S, Somlo G, Tetef M
- Issue date: 1996 Oct