AffiliationClinical lead complementary health and wellbeing services.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study aimed to explore the experience of women living with fatigue following chemotherapy for breast cancer. Six focus groups were conducted (n=40); all participants had taken part in a multi-site acupuncture trial. There were three to seven people per focus group. Additionally, two people attended one-to-one interviews and four people provided written responses to the trigger questions. The audiotapes from these sessions were transcribed and analysed using a thematic approach. Participants raised concerns about fatigue possibly being a symptom of the cancer coming back or a sign of senility. Respondents described the effects of fatigue on relationships, sexuality, social life, home life and returning to work. The Coping with Fatigue booklet ( Macmillan Cancer Support, 2011 ) was discussed in terms of legitimising the experience of cancer-related fatigue and explaining symptoms to family and work colleagues. More research work is required to evaluate non-pharmaceutical interventions and advice to support women living with fatigue after chemotherapy for breast cancer.
CitationLegitimising fatigue after breast-cancer treatment. 2015, 24 Suppl 4:S4-S12 Br J Nurs
JournalBritish Journal of Nursing
- Receiving or not receiving acupuncture in a trial: the experience of participants recovering from breast cancer treatment.
- Authors: Peter M, Joy B, Jacqueline F, Jennifer FJ, Alexander M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- The experience of cancer-related fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome: a qualitative and comparative study.
- Authors: Bennett B, Goldstein D, Friedlander M, Hickie I, Lloyd A
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- A survivor's journey: one woman's experience with cancer-related fatigue.
- Authors: Gilbert M
- Issue date: 2003
- Cancer-related fatigue: "It's so much more than just being tired".
- Authors: Wu HS, McSweeney M
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- The effect of acupuncture on post-cancer fatigue and well-being for women recovering from breast cancer: a pilot randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Smith C, Carmady B, Thornton C, Perz J, Ussher JM
- Issue date: 2013 Mar