Brown, Michael D
Clarke, Noel W
AffiliationManchester Institute of Biotechnology, The University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new optical system has recently been developed that enables infrared images to be obtained with a pixel resolution of 1 micron on a bench-top instrument using a thermal source. We present here imaging data from two contrasting cellular systems that represent different challenges. Renal carcinoma cells cytospun onto CaF2 have a largely rounded morphology and thus suffer from strong resonant Mie scattering. Skin fibroblast cells, cultured onto CaF2 on the other hand are very spread out so scatter less strongly but are so thin they deliver extremely weak signals. Using suitable pre-processing methods, including PCA noise reduction and RMieS correction, we demonstrate that useful high resolution images can be obtained from either sample.
CitationEnhanced FTIR bench-top imaging of single biological cells. 2015, 140 (7):2080-5 Analyst
- Synchrotron FTIR analysis of drug treated ovarian A2780 cells: an ability to differentiate cell response to different drugs?
- Authors: Flower KR, Khalifa I, Bassan P, Démoulin D, Jackson E, Lockyer NP, McGown AT, Miles P, Vaccari L, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 7
- Resonant Mie scattering (RMieS) correction applied to FTIR images of biological tissue samples.
- Authors: Bambery KR, Wood BR, McNaughton D
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 7
- FTIR microscopy of biological cells and tissue: data analysis using resonant Mie scattering (RMieS) EMSC algorithm.
- Authors: Bassan P, Sachdeva A, Kohler A, Hughes C, Henderson A, Boyle J, Shanks JH, Brown M, Clarke NW, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 21
- Exploring the spectroscopic differences of Caki-2 cells progressing through the cell cycle while proliferating in vitro.
- Authors: Jimenez-Hernandez M, Hughes C, Bassan P, Ball F, Brown MD, Clarke NW, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 21
- ATR-FTIR spectroscopic imaging: recent advances and applications to biological systems.
- Authors: Kazarian SG, Chan KL
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 7