Molecular phenotyping of a UK population: defining the human serum metabolome.
Jayson, Gordon C
Wu, Frederick C W
AffiliationFaculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences, School of Chemistry, Manchester Institute of Biotechnology, The University of Manchester, Manchester, M1 7DN UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhenotyping of 1,200 'healthy' adults from the UK has been performed through the investigation of diverse classes of hydrophilic and lipophilic metabolites present in serum by applying a series of chromatography-mass spectrometry platforms. These data were made robust to instrumental drift by numerical correction; this was prerequisite to allow detection of subtle metabolic differences. The variation in observed metabolite relative concentrations between the 1,200 subjects ranged from less than 5 % to more than 200 %. Variations in metabolites could be related to differences in gender, age, BMI, blood pressure, and smoking. Investigations suggest that a sample size of 600 subjects is both necessary and sufficient for robust analysis of these data. Overall, this is a large scale and non-targeted chromatographic MS-based metabolomics study, using samples from over 1,000 individuals, to provide a comprehensive measurement of their serum metabolomes. This work provides an important baseline or reference dataset for understanding the 'normal' relative concentrations and variation in the human serum metabolome. These may be related to our increasing knowledge of the human metabolic network map. Information on the Husermet study is available at http://www.husermet.org/. Importantly, all of the data are made freely available at MetaboLights (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/metabolights/).
CitationMolecular phenotyping of a UK population: defining the human serum metabolome., 11:9-26 Metabolomics
- MetaboLights--an open-access general-purpose repository for metabolomics studies and associated meta-data.
- Authors: Haug K, Salek RM, Conesa P, Hastings J, de Matos P, Rijnbeek M, Mahendraker T, Williams M, Neumann S, Rocca-Serra P, Maguire E, González-Beltrán A, Sansone SA, Griffin JL, Steinbeck C
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- The human serum metabolome.
- Authors: Psychogios N, Hau DD, Peng J, Guo AC, Mandal R, Bouatra S, Sinelnikov I, Krishnamurthy R, Eisner R, Gautam B, Young N, Xia J, Knox C, Dong E, Huang P, Hollander Z, Pedersen TL, Smith SR, Bamforth F, Greiner R, McManus B, Newman JW, Goodfriend T, Wishart DS
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 16
- A review on human fecal metabolomics: Methods, applications and the human fecal metabolome database.
- Authors: Karu N, Deng L, Slae M, Guo AC, Sajed T, Huynh H, Wine E, Wishart DS
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 7
- MetaboLights: towards a new COSMOS of metabolomics data management.
- Authors: Steinbeck C, Conesa P, Haug K, Mahendraker T, Williams M, Maguire E, Rocca-Serra P, Sansone SA, Salek RM, Griffin JL
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Metabolic system alterations in pancreatic cancer patient serum: potential for early detection.
- Authors: Ritchie SA, Akita H, Takemasa I, Eguchi H, Pastural E, Nagano H, Monden M, Doki Y, Mori M, Jin W, Sajobi TT, Jayasinghe D, Chitou B, Yamazaki Y, White T, Goodenowe DB
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 12