Radiation dose effect in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of radiation oncology, GRU Cancer Center, August, Georgia, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiation is the foundation of treatment for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), and as such, optimal radiation dose is essential for successful treatment. This article will briefly review biological considerations of radiation dose and their effect in the context of three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT) including intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for NSCLC. It will focus on literature review and discussions regarding radiation dose effect in locally advanced NSCLC including potential severe and lethal toxicities of high dose radiation given with concurrent chemotherapy. Potential new approaches for delivering safe and effective doses by individualizing treatment based on functional imaging are being applied in studies such as the PET boost trial and RTOG1106. The RTOG concept of delivering high dose radiation to the more resistant tumors with the use of isotoxic dose prescription and adaptive planning will also be discussed in detail.
CitationRadiation dose effect in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. 2014, 6 (4):336-47 J Thorac Dis
JournalJournal of Thoracic Disease
- Initial evaluation of treatment-related pneumonitis in advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with concurrent chemotherapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy.
- Authors: Yom SS, Liao Z, Liu HH, Tucker SL, Hu CS, Wei X, Wang X, Wang S, Mohan R, Cox JD, Komaki R
- Issue date: 2007 May 1
- Optimizing radiation dose and fractionation for the definitive treatment of locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Roach MC, Bradley JD, Robinson CG
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Predictors of high-grade esophagitis after definitive three-dimensional conformal therapy, intensity-modulated radiation therapy, or proton beam therapy for non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Gomez DR, Tucker SL, Martel MK, Mohan R, Balter PA, Lopez Guerra JL, Liu H, Komaki R, Cox JD, Liao Z
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 15
- High-dose accelerated hypofractionated three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (at 3 Gy/fraction) with concurrent vinorelbine and carboplatin chemotherapy in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Liu YE, Lin Q, Meng FJ, Chen XJ, Ren XC, Cao B, Wang N, Zong J, Peng Y, Ku YJ, Chen Y
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 11
- Feasibility of high-dose three-dimensional radiation therapy in the treatment of localised non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Bellière A, Girard N, Chapet O, Khodri M, Kubas A, Souquet PJ, Mornex F
- Issue date: 2009 Jul