Radiation dose effect in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of radiation oncology, GRU Cancer Center, August, Georgia, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiation is the foundation of treatment for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), and as such, optimal radiation dose is essential for successful treatment. This article will briefly review biological considerations of radiation dose and their effect in the context of three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT) including intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for NSCLC. It will focus on literature review and discussions regarding radiation dose effect in locally advanced NSCLC including potential severe and lethal toxicities of high dose radiation given with concurrent chemotherapy. Potential new approaches for delivering safe and effective doses by individualizing treatment based on functional imaging are being applied in studies such as the PET boost trial and RTOG1106. The RTOG concept of delivering high dose radiation to the more resistant tumors with the use of isotoxic dose prescription and adaptive planning will also be discussed in detail.
CitationRadiation dose effect in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. 2014, 6 (4):336-47 J Thorac Dis
JournalJournal of Thoracic Disease
- Impact of Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy Technique for Locally Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: A Secondary Analysis of the NRG Oncology RTOG 0617 Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Chun SG, Hu C, Choy H, Komaki RU, Timmerman RD, Schild SE, Bogart JA, Dobelbower MC, Bosch W, Galvin JM, Kavadi VS, Narayan S, Iyengar P, Robinson CG, Wynn RB, Raben A, Augspurger ME, MacRae RM, Paulus R, Bradley JD
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- IMRT and 3D conformal radiotherapy with or without elective nodal irradiation in locally advanced NSCLC: A direct comparison of PET-based treatment planning.
- Authors: Fleckenstein J, Kremp K, Kremp S, Palm J, Rübe C
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Assessment of Monte Carlo algorithm for compliance with RTOG 0915 dosimetric criteria in peripheral lung cancer patients treated with stereotactic body radiotherapy.
- Authors: Pokhrel D, Sood S, Badkul R, Jiang H, McClinton C, Lominska C, Kumar P, Wang F
- Issue date: 2016 May 8
- Optimizing radiation dose and fractionation for the definitive treatment of locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Roach MC, Bradley JD, Robinson CG
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Potential for reduced toxicity and dose escalation in the treatment of inoperable non-small-cell lung cancer: a comparison of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), 3D conformal radiation, and elective nodal irradiation.
- Authors: Grills IS, Yan D, Martinez AA, Vicini FA, Wong JW, Kestin LL
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 1