Understanding and exploiting 5T4 oncofoetal glycoprotein expression.
AffiliationInstitute of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOncofoetal antigens are present during foetal development with generally limited expression in the adult but are upregulated in cancer. These molecules can sometimes be used to diagnose or follow treatment of tumours or as a target for different immunotherapies. The 5T4 oncofoetal glycoprotein was identified by searching for shared surface molecules of human trophoblast and cancer cells with the rationale that they may function to allow survival of the foetus as a semi-allograft in the mother or a tumour in its host, potentially influencing growth, invasion or altered immune surveillance of the host. 5T4 tumour selective expression has stimulated the development of 5T4 vaccine, 5T4 antibody targeted-superantigen and 5T4 antibody-drug therapies through preclinical and into clinical studies. It is now apparent that 5T4 expression is a marker of the use (or not) of several cellular pathways relevant to tumour growth and spread. Thus 5T4 expression is mechanistically associated with the directional movement of cells through epithelial mesenchymal transition, facilitation of CXCL12/CXCR4 chemotaxis, blocking of canonical Wnt/beta-catenin while favouring non-canonical pathway signalling. These processes are highly regulated in development and in normal adult tissues but can contribute to the spread of cancer cells. Understanding the differential impact of these pathways marked by 5T4 can potentially improve existing, or aid development of novel cancer treatment strategies.
CitationUnderstanding and exploiting 5T4 oncofoetal glycoprotein expression. 2014, 29:13-20 Semin Cancer Biol
JournalSeminars in Cancer Biology
- 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: an attractive target for immune intervention in cancer.
- Authors: Stern PL, Harrop R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- CXCL12 receptor preference, signal transduction, biological response and the expression of 5T4 oncofoetal glycoprotein.
- Authors: McGinn OJ, Marinov G, Sawan S, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 15
- CXCR4 mediated chemotaxis is regulated by 5T4 oncofetal glycoprotein in mouse embryonic cells.
- Authors: Southgate TD, McGinn OJ, Castro FV, Rutkowski AJ, Al-Muftah M, Marinov G, Smethurst GJ, Shaw D, Ward CM, Miller CJ, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 1
- Characterization of the murine 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: a target for immunotherapy in cancer.
- Authors: Woods AM, Wang WW, Shaw DM, Ward CM, Carroll MW, Rees BR, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 15
- The pattern of expression of the 5T4 oncofoetal antigen on normal, dysplastic and malignant oral mucosa.
- Authors: Ali A, Langdon J, Stern P, Partridge M
- Issue date: 2001 Jan