HUWE1 ubiquitylates and degrades the RAC activator TIAM1 promoting cell-cell adhesion disassembly, migration, and invasion.
Smith, Duncan L
AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe E3 ubiquitin ligase HUWE1, deregulated in carcinoma, has been implicated in tumor formation. Here, we uncover a role for HUWE1 in cell migration and invasion through degrading the RAC activator TIAM1, implying an additional function in malignant progression. In MDCKII cells in response to HGF, HUWE1 catalyzes TIAM1 ubiquitylation and degradation predominantly at cell-cell adhesions, facilitating junction disassembly, migration, and invasion. Depleting HUWE1 or mutating the TIAM1 ubiquitylation site prevents TIAM1 degradation, antagonizing scattering, and invasion. Moreover, simultaneous depletion of TIAM1 restores migration and invasion in HUWE1-depleted cells. Significantly, we show that HUWE1 stimulates human lung cancer cell invasion through regulating TIAM1 stability. Finally, we demonstrate that HUWE1 and TIAM1 protein levels are inversely correlated in human lung carcinomas. Thus, we elucidate a critical role for HUWE1 in regulating epithelial cell-cell adhesion and provide additional evidence that ubiquitylation contributes to spatiotemporal control of RAC.
CitationHUWE1 ubiquitylates and degrades the RAC activator TIAM1 promoting cell-cell adhesion disassembly, migration, and invasion. 2015, 10 (1):88-102 Cell Rep
- The role of the guanine nucleotide exchange factor Tiam1 in cellular migration, invasion, adhesion and tumor progression.
- Authors: Minard ME, Kim LS, Price JE, Gallick GE
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- The Rac exchange factor Tiam1 is required for the establishment and maintenance of cadherin-based adhesions.
- Authors: Malliri A, van Es S, Huveneers S, Collard JG
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 16
- Rac affects invasion of human renal cell carcinomas by up-regulating tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP)-1 and TIMP-2 expression.
- Authors: Engers R, Springer E, Michiels F, Collard JG, Gabbert HE
- Issue date: 2001 Nov 9
- Regulation of breast cancer cell motility by T-cell lymphoma invasion and metastasis-inducing protein.
- Authors: Adams HC 3rd, Chen R, Liu Z, Whitehead IP
- Issue date: 2010
- Matrix-dependent Tiam1/Rac signaling in epithelial cells promotes either cell-cell adhesion or cell migration and is regulated by phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase.
- Authors: Sander EE, van Delft S, ten Klooster JP, Reid T, van der Kammen RA, Michiels F, Collard JG
- Issue date: 1998 Nov 30