Future perspectives in melanoma research: meeting report from the 'Melanoma Bridge', Napoli, December 5th-8th 2013.
AffiliationDepartment of Melanoma, Sarcoma, and Head and Neck Disease, Istituto Nazionale Tumori Fondazione Pascale, Naples
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe fourth ¿Melanoma Bridge Meeting¿ took place in Naples, December 5 to 8th, 2013. The four topics discussed at this meeting were: Diagnosis and New Procedures, Molecular Advances and Combination Therapies, News in Immunotherapy, and Tumor Microenvironment and Biomarkers.Until recently systemic therapy for metastatic melanoma patients was ineffective, but recent research in tumor biology and immunology has led to the development of new targeted and immunotherapeutic agents that prolong progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS). New therapies, such as mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway inhibitors, like BRAF and MEK inhibitors, as well as other signaling pathways inhibitors, are being tested in metastatic melanoma either as monotherapy or in combination, and have yielded promising results.Improved survival rates have also been observed with immune therapy for patients with metastatic melanoma. Immune-modulating antibodies came to the forefront with anti-CTLA-4, programmed cell death-1 (PD-1) and PD-1 ligand 1 (PD-L1) pathway blocking antibodies that result in durable responses in a subset of melanoma patients. Agents targeting other immune inhibitory (e.g., Tim-3) or immune stimulating (e.g., CD137) receptors and other approaches such as adoptive cell transfer demonstrate clinical benefit in melanoma as well.This meeting¿s specific focus was on advances in targeted therapy and immunotherapy. Both combination targeted therapy approaches and different immunotherapies were discussed. Similarly to the previous meetings, the importance of biomarkers for clinical application as markers for diagnosis, prognosis and prediction of treatment response was an integral part of the meeting. Significant consideration was given to issues surrounding the development of novel therapeutic targets as further study of patterns of resistance to both immunologic and targeted drugs are paramount to future drug development to guide existing and future therapies. The overall emphasis on biomarkers supports novel concepts toward integrating biomarkers into contemporary clinical management of patients with melanoma across the entire spectrum of disease stage. Translation of the knowledge gained from the biology of tumor microenvironment across different tumors represents a bridge to impact on prognosis and response to therapy in melanoma.
CitationFuture perspectives in melanoma research: meeting report from the ¿Melanoma Bridge¿, Napoli, December 5th-8th 2013. 2014, 12 (1):277 J Transl Med
JournalJournal of Translational Medicine
- Future perspectives in melanoma research : Meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge". Napoli, December 1st-4th 2015.
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Agarwala S, Botti G, Cesano A, Ciliberto G, Davies MA, Demaria S, Dummer R, Eggermont AM, Ferrone S, Fu YX, Gajewski TF, Garbe C, Huber V, Khleif S, Krauthammer M, Lo RS, Masucci G, Palmieri G, Postow M, Puzanov I, Silk A, Spranger S, Stroncek DF, Tarhini A, Taube JM, Testori A, Wang E, Wargo JA, Yee C, Zarour H, Zitvogel L, Fox BA, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 15
- Future perspectives in melanoma research: meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge": Napoli, December 3rd-6th 2014.
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Atkins M, Bifulco C, Botti G, Cochran A, Davies M, Demaria S, Dummer R, Ferrone S, Formenti S, Gajewski TF, Garbe C, Khleif S, Kiessling R, Lo R, Lorigan P, Arthur GM, Masucci G, Melero I, Mihm M, Palmieri G, Parmiani G, Puzanov I, Romero P, Schilling B, Seliger B, Stroncek D, Taube J, Tomei S, Zarour HM, Testori A, Wang E, Galon J, Ciliberto G, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 30
- Future perspectives in melanoma research. Meeting report from the "Melanoma research: a bridge from Naples to the World. Napoli, December 5th-6th 2011".
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Grimaldi AM, Curti B, Faries MB, Ferrone S, Flaherty K, Fox BA, Gajewski TF, Gershenwald JE, Gogas H, Grossmann K, Hauschild A, Hodi FS, Kefford R, Kirkwood JM, Leachmann S, Maio M, Marais R, Palmieri G, Morton DL, Ribas A, Stroncek DF, Stewart R, Wang E, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 4
- Future perspectives in melanoma research. Meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge. Napoli, December 2nd-4th 2012".
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Grimaldi AM, Acquavella N, Borgognoni L, Calabrò L, Cascinelli N, Cesano A, Del Vecchio M, Eggermont AM, Faries M, Ferrone S, Fox BA, Gajewski TF, Galon J, Gnjatic S, Gogas H, Kashani-Sabet M, Kaufman HL, Larkin J, Lo RS, Mantovani A, Margolin K, Melief C, McArthur G, Palmieri G, Puzanov I, Ribas A, Seliger B, Sosman J, Suenaert P, Tarhini AA, Trinchieri G, Vidal-Vanaclocha F, Wang E, Ciliberto G, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 3
- Future perspectives in melanoma research. Meeting report from the "Melanoma Research: a bridge Naples-USA. Naples, December 6th-7th 2010".
- Authors: Ascierto PA, De Maio E, Bertuzzi S, Palmieri G, Halaban R, Hendrix M, Kashani-sabet M, Ferrone S, Wang E, Cochran A, Rivoltini L, Lee PP, Fox BA, Kirkwood JM, Ullmann CD, Lehmann FF, Sznol M, Schwartzentruber DJ, Maio M, Flaherty K, Galon J, Ribas A, Yang J, Stroncek DF, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 26