High-dose re-irradiation following radical radiotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer.
AffiliationRadiation Oncology, University Hospitals Leuven/KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium. Ele
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs the prognosis of lung cancer patients improves, more patients are at risk of developing local recurrence or a new primary tumour in previously irradiated areas. Technological advances in radiotherapy and imaging have made treatment of patients with high-dose re-irradiation possible, with the aim of long-term disease-free survival and even cure. However, high-dose re-irradiation with overlapping volumes of previously irradiated tissues is not without risks. Late, irreversible, and potentially serious normal tissue damage may occur because of injury to surrounding thoracic structures and organs at risk. In this Review, we aimed to report the efficacy and toxic effects of high-dose re-irradiation for locoregional recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer. Our findings indicate that high-dose re-irradiation might be beneficial in selected patients; however, patients and physicians should be aware of the scarcity of high-quality data when considering this treatment.
CitationHigh-dose re-irradiation following radical radiotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer. 2014, 15 (13):e620-e624 Lancet Oncol
JournalThe Lancet. Oncology
- What is the role of reirradiation in the management of locoregionally relapsed non small-cell lung cancer?
- Authors: Nicosia L, Di Muzio J, Agolli L, Alongi F, Mazzola R, Valeriani M, Badellino S, Osti MF, Ricardi U
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Re-irradiation for locoregionally recurrent tumors of the thorax: a single-institution, retrospective study.
- Authors: Sumita K, Harada H, Asakura H, Ogawa H, Onoe T, Murayama S, Nakamura S, Tanigawa N, Takahashi T, Nishimura T
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 2
- Challenges in Re-Irradiation in the Thorax: Managing Patients with Locally Recurrent Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Fischer-Valuck BW, Robinson CG, Simone CB 2nd, Gomez DR, Bradley JD
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Karnosky Performance Score and Radiation Dose Predict Survival of Patients Re-irradiated for a Locoregional Recurrence of Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Käsmann L, Janssen S, Schild SE, Rades D
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Re-irradiation for Locally Recurrent Lung Cancer: Evidence, Risks and Benefits.
- Authors: Rulach R, Hanna GG, Franks K, McAleese J, Harrow S
- Issue date: 2018 Feb