Interim data from the Medical Research Council QUARTZ Trial: does whole brain radiotherapy affect the survival and quality of life of patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer?
AuthorsLangley, R E
Stephens, R J
Parmar, M K B
Mulvenna, P M
AffiliationMRC Clinical Trials Unit, London, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOver 30% of patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) develop brain metastases. If inoperable, optimal supportive care (OSC), including steroids, and whole brain radiotherapy (WBRT) are generally considered to be standard care, although there is no randomised evidence demonstrating that the addition of WBRT to OSC improves survival or quality of life.
CitationInterim data from the Medical Research Council QUARTZ Trial: does whole brain radiotherapy affect the survival and quality of life of patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer? 2013, 25 (3):e23-30 Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol)
- Dexamethasone and supportive care with or without whole brain radiotherapy in treating patients with non-small cell lung cancer with brain metastases unsuitable for resection or stereotactic radiotherapy (QUARTZ): results from a phase 3, non-inferiority, randomised trial.
- Authors: Mulvenna P, Nankivell M, Barton R, Faivre-Finn C, Wilson P, McColl E, Moore B, Brisbane I, Ardron D, Holt T, Morgan S, Lee C, Waite K, Bayman N, Pugh C, Sydes B, Stephens R, Parmar MK, Langley RE
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 22
- Whole brain radiotherapy for the treatment of newly diagnosed multiple brain metastases.
- Authors: Tsao MN, Xu W, Wong RK, Lloyd N, Laperriere N, Sahgal A, Rakovitch E, Chow E
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 25
- Hypofractionated stereotactic radiotherapy with or without whole-brain radiotherapy for patients with newly diagnosed brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Ma LH, Li G, Zhang HW, Wang ZY, Dang J, Zhang S, Yao L, Zhang XM
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Radiosurgery versus surgery, both with adjuvant whole brain radiotherapy, for solitary brain metastases: a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Roos DE, Smith JG, Stephens SW
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Survival after whole brain radiotherapy for brain metastases from lung cancer and breast cancer is poor in 6325 Dutch patients treated between 2000 and 2014.
- Authors: Jeene PM, de Vries KC, van Nes JGH, Kwakman JJM, Wester G, Rozema T, Braam PM, Zindler JD, Koper P, Nuyttens JJ, Vos-Westerman HA, Schmeets I, Niël CGHJ, Hutschemaekers S, van der Linden YM, Verhoeff JJC, Stalpers LJA
- Issue date: 2018 May