Analysis of carcinoma of the endometrium treated with post operative radiotherapy.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn audit was carried out of post-operative radiotherapy given for carcinoma of the endometrium at the Christie Hospital between the years of 1984-86. 139 patients were treated following total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (BSO). 54 patients were treated with vaginal brachytherapy alone, 55 had pelvic brick external beam irradiation and 30 patients had both external beam irradiation and vaginal brachytherapy. Overall survival was 84% at 5 years, with a 5.8% local recurrence rate. Histological grade was a prognostic factor for survival (p=0.023) and relapse (p=0.002). Tumour stage was a significant prognostic factor for survival (p=0.011), but not relapse. Survival for stage IB disease was 100% at 5 years with no local recurrence. Major treatment related morbidity was 1.4%, overall; for vaginal brachytherapy alone 0%; for external beam therapy 2%; and combined therapy 3%. Given their good prognosis, and the small but definite risk of major morbidity, patients with stage IB disease may not need postoperative external beam irradiation.
CitationAnalysis of carcinoma of the endometrium treated with post operative radiotherapy. 1995, 6 (1):265-9 Int J Oncol
JournalInternational Journal of Oncology
- Adenocarcinoma of the endometrium treated with combined irradiation and surgery: study of 437 patients.
- Authors: Touboul E, Belkacémi Y, Buffat L, Deniaud-Alexandre E, Lefranc JP, Lhuillier P, Uzan S, Jannet D, Uzan M, Antoine M, Huart J, Ganansia V, Milliez J, Blondon J, Housset M, Schlienger M
- Issue date: 2001 May 1
- Effective treatment of stage I uterine papillary serous carcinoma with high dose-rate vaginal apex radiation (192Ir) and chemotherapy.
- Authors: Turner BC, Knisely JP, Kacinski BM, Haffty BG, Gumbs AA, Roberts KB, Frank AH, Peschel RE, Rutherford TJ, Edraki B, Kohorn EI, Chambers SK, Schwartz PE, Wilson LD
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 1
- Definitive radiotherapy for carcinoma of the vagina: outcome and prognostic factors.
- Authors: Chyle V, Zagars GK, Wheeler JA, Wharton JT, Delclos L
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 15
- Intravaginal brachytherapy alone for intermediate-risk endometrial cancer.
- Authors: Alektiar KM, Venkatraman E, Chi DS, Barakat RR
- Issue date: 2005 May 1
- Prognostic significance of interval from preoperative irradiation to hysterectomy for endometrial carcinoma.
- Authors: Komaki R, Cox JD, Hartz AJ, Wilson JF, Mattingly R
- Issue date: 1986 Aug 15