Sulphated proteoglycan is required for collecting duct growth and branching but not nephron formation during kidney development.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Epithelial Morphogenesis Research Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractKidney epithelia have separate origins; collecting ducts develop by ureteric bud growth and arborisation, nephrons by induced mesenchyme-epithelium transition. Both express sulphated glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) which are strikingly upregulated during nephron differentiation. However, sodium chlorate, an inhibitor of GAG sulphation, and the GAG-degrading enzymes heparitinase plus chondroitinase, did not prevent nephron development. In contrast, ureteric bud growth and branching were reversibly inhibited by the above reagents, the inhibition correlating quantitatively with sulphated GAG deprivation caused by a range of chlorate concentrations. Growth and branching could be independently restored during GAG deprivation by hepatocyte growth factor and phorbol-12-myristate acetate (PMA) respectively. Together these signalling effectors stimulated both branch initiation and growth. Thus growth and morphogenesis of ureteric bud involve distinct signalling pathways both regulated by GAGs.
CitationSulphated proteoglycan is required for collecting duct growth and branching but not nephron formation during kidney development. 1995, 121 (5):1507-17 Development
- Galectin-3 modulates ureteric bud branching in organ culture of the developing mouse kidney.
- Authors: Bullock SL, Johnson TM, Bao Q, Hughes RC, Winyard PJ, Woolf AS
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Angioblast-mesenchyme induction of early kidney development is mediated by Wt1 and Vegfa.
- Authors: Gao X, Chen X, Taglienti M, Rumballe B, Little MH, Kreidberg JA
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Reduction of BMP4 activity by gremlin 1 enables ureteric bud outgrowth and GDNF/WNT11 feedback signalling during kidney branching morphogenesis.
- Authors: Michos O, Gonçalves A, Lopez-Rios J, Tiecke E, Naillat F, Beier K, Galli A, Vainio S, Zeller R
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- FGF-7 modulates ureteric bud growth and nephron number in the developing kidney.
- Authors: Qiao J, Uzzo R, Obara-Ishihara T, Degenstein L, Fuchs E, Herzlinger D
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Development and differentiation of the ureteric bud into the ureter in the absence of a kidney collecting system.
- Authors: Bush KT, Vaughn DA, Li X, Rosenfeld MG, Rose DW, Mendoza SA, Nigam SK
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 15