The expression of p53 tumor-suppressor protein during progression of gastric and colorectal carcinomas.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe expression of p53 was immunohistochemically determined in sets of biopsies from primary and recurrent colorectal (12) and gastric (17) tumours that had progressed to more advanged stages in the following 6-54 months. At presentation 7 carcinomas overexpressed p53 protein in the cell nucleus and 22 tumours had normal, undetectable levels of p53. In most patients, the p53 phenotype was maintained during the process of tumour progression. In two gastric and two colorectal carcinomas p53 overexpression was subsequently detected in recurrent tumour growth at the primary site and was also associated with the development of metastases. These results suggests that in some cases p53 alterations may contribute to the conversion to malignancy and in others to tumour progression and metastatic capacity.
CitationThe expression of p53 tumor-suppressor protein during progression of gastric and colorectal carcinomas. 1995, 6 (6):1319-23 Int J Oncol
JournalInternational Journal of Oncology
- Association of p53 mutations, microvessel density and neoangiogenesis in pairs of colorectal cancers and corresponding liver metastases.
- Authors: Kern A, Taubert H, Scheele J, Rudroff C, Mothes H, Kappler M, Bartel F, Richter KK
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Prognostic significance of p53 overexpression in gastric and colorectal carcinoma.
- Authors: Starzynska T, Bromley M, Ghosh A, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1992 Sep
- Correlations of proliferation markers, p53 expression and histological findings in colorectal carcinoma.
- Authors: Georgescu CV, Săftoiu A, Georgescu CC, Ciurea R, Ciurea T
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Apoptosis and expression of Bax, Bcl-x, and Bcl-2 apoptotic regulatory proteins in colorectal carcinomas, and association with p53 genotype/phenotype.
- Authors: De Angelis PM, Stokke T, Thorstensen L, Lothe RA, Clausen OP
- Issue date: 1998 Oct
- [p53 protein in primary gastric carcinoma and coexisting metastases].
- Authors: Starzyńska T, Małwniczak M, Marlicz K, Chosia M, Domagała W
- Issue date: 2003 Aug