Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for lung cancer: current status and future developments.
AffiliationRadiotherapy Related Research, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust and University of Manchester, Manchester, U K
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiotherapy plays an important role in the management of lung cancer, with over 50% of patients receiving this modality at some point during their treatment. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) is a technique that adds fluence modulation to beam shaping, which improves radiotherapy dose conformity around the tumor and spares surrounding normal structures. Treatment with IMRT is becoming more widely available for the treatment of lung cancer, despite the paucity of high level evidence supporting the routine use of this more resource intense and complex technique. In this review article, we have summarized data from planning and clinical studies, discussed challenges in implementing IMRT, and made recommendations on the minimum requirements for safe delivery of IMRT.
CitationIntensity-modulated radiotherapy for lung cancer: current status and future developments. 2014, 9 (11):1598-608 J Thorac Oncol
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- Impact of intensity-modulated radiation therapy as a boost treatment on the lung-dose distributions for non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Choi Y, Kim JK, Lee HS, Hur WJ, Chai GY, Kang KM
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 1
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy, not 3 dimensional conformal, is the preferred technique for treating locally advanced lung cancer.
- Authors: Chang JY
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- An isotoxic planning comparison study for stage II-III non-small cell lung cancer: is intensity-modulated radiotherapy the answer?
- Authors: Warren M, Webster G, Ryder D, Rowbottom C, Faivre-Finn C
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Clinical application of a novel hybrid intensity-modulated radiotherapy technique for stage III lung cancer and dosimetric comparison with four other techniques.
- Authors: Verbakel WF, van Reij E, Ladenius-Lischer I, Cuijpers JP, Slotman BJ, Senan S
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 1