Investigation of a possible role for superoxide anion production in tumour promotion.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of the tumour promoter 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA) on superoxide (O-.2) production and superoxide dismutase (SOD) levels has been investigated in human leukocytes and human and rodent fibroblast cell lines. Both O-.2 production and a lowering of the SOD levels were observed in the human leukocytes, but these changes could not be correlated with the induction of gross chromosomal aberrations by TPA. Similarly the use of an O-.2-generating system failed to induce chromosome aberrations. However, a small percentage increase in chromosome aberrations was observed in human fibroblasts after repeated and prolonged exposure to TPA. TPA was shown to reduce the SOD levels in these cells. Overall however, the data suggest that the chromosomes are not the primary site of action for the superoxide anions produced by TPA.
CitationInvestigation of a possible role for superoxide anion production in tumour promotion. 1983, 4 (6):717-9 Carcinogenesis
- Tumor promoter 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-induced chromosome aberrations in mouse keratinocyte cell lines: a possible genetic mechanism of tumor promotion.
- Authors: Dzarlieva-Petrusevska RT, Fusenig NE
- Issue date: 1985 Oct
- Role of reactive oxygen in tumor promotion: implication of superoxide anion in promotion of neoplastic transformation in JB-6 cells by TPA.
- Authors: Nakamura Y, Colburn NH, Gindhart TD
- Issue date: 1985 Feb
- Protease inhibitors from processed legumes effectively inhibit superoxide generation in response to TPA.
- Authors: Yavelow J, Gidlund M, Troll W
- Issue date: 1982
- On the role of superoxide anion radicals in skin tumour promotion.
- Authors: Schwarz M, Peres G, Kunz W, Fürstenberger G, Kittstein W, Marks F
- Issue date: 1984 Dec
- Oxygen uptake, ATPase activity, and superoxide dismutase activity in isolated rat liver mitochondria are not influenced by the tumor promoter 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate.
- Authors: Tangerås A, Malviya AN
- Issue date: 1983