Comparative studies of the uptake of daunorubicin in sensitive and resistant P388 cell lines by flow cytometry and biochemical extraction procedures.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe intracellular accumulation of daunorubicin as determined by flow cytometry correlates well with that as determined by extraction of the drug from cell homogenates. Two P388 mouse leukaemia cell lines showing differential sensitivity to the drug have been used to investigate the transport changes associated with resistance. Resistance to daunorubicin in these cell lines occurs through an alteration in the intracellular accumulation of the drug, resulting from the increased efflux of the anthracycline from the resistant cells. The effect of temperature, drug concentration, pH, and metabolic inhibitors on this process have been investigated. Uptake by a carrier-mediated process of the un-ionised form of the drug (pK = 8.25), coupled with an energy-dependent efflux process, is proposed as the mechanism of cellular accumulation in the case of the resistant cell line.
CitationComparative studies of the uptake of daunorubicin in sensitive and resistant P388 cell lines by flow cytometry and biochemical extraction procedures. 1983, 11 (2):113-6 Cancer Chemother Pharmacol
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- Effect of cyclosporin A on daunorubicin accumulation in multidrug-resistant P388 leukemia cells measured by real-time flow cytometry.
- Authors: Nooter K, Oostrum R, Jonker R, van Dekken H, Stokdijk W, van den Engh G
- Issue date: 1989
- Active efflux of daunorubicin and adriamycin in sensitive and resistant sublines of P388 leukemia.
- Authors: Inaba M, Kobayashi H, Sakurai Y, Johnson RK
- Issue date: 1979 Jun
- Flow cytometric monitoring of cellular anthracycline accumulation in murine leukemic cells.
- Authors: Krishan A, Sauerteig A, Gordon K, Swinkin C
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- Active efflux common to vincristine and daunorubicin in vincristine-resistant P388 leukemia.
- Authors: Inaba M, Fujikura R, Sakurai Y
- Issue date: 1981 Jul 1
- Possible coexistence of two independent mechanisms contributing to anthracycline resistance in leukaemia P388 cells.
- Authors: Soto F, Planells-Cases R, Canaves JM, Ferrer-Montiel AV, Aleu J, Gamarro F, Castanys S, Gonzalez-Ros JM, Ferragut JA
- Issue date: 1993