Cytogenetic changes during the early stages of liver carcinogenesis in Chinese hamster: an in vivo--in vitro comparison.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCytogenetic changes were investigated during the early stages of hepatic adenocarcinoma development in Chinese hamsters injected with a single dose of dimethylnitrosamine (DMN). An in vivo-in vitro comparison was made from 7 to 35 weeks after injection. A partial hepatectomy was used to stimulate mitosis for in vivo analysis, and the excised liver, grown to the primary culture stage, was used for chromosome analysis in vitro. Aneuploidy, tetraploidy, and chromosome aberrations increased significantly in the hepatic cells of DMN-treated animals in vivo, with no significant change over the 7- to 35-week period. No differences, however, could be detected between the primary cultures of control and DMN-treated animals because of an inherent tendency for all cultures to develop aneuploid stem lines at an early stage in culture. A preferential involvement of chromosome #6 in the single trisomic state was demonstrated in vitro and to a minor extent in vivo. The relevance of increased aneuploidy in early carcinogenesis and the differences between the in vivo and in vitro results are discussed.
CitationCytogenetic changes during the early stages of liver carcinogenesis in Chinese hamster: an in vivo--in vitro comparison. 1983, 10 (1):23-36 Cancer Genet Cytogenet
JournalCancer Genetics and Cytogenetics
- Genetic analysis of tumorigenesis: XVI. Chromosome changes in azacytidine- and insulin-induced tumorigenesis.
- Authors: Gadi IK, Harrison JJ, Sager R
- Issue date: 1984 Sep
- Karyotype instability of Chinese hamster cells during in vivo tumor progression.
- Authors: Bartholdi MF, Ray FA, Cram LS, Kraemer PM
- Issue date: 1987 Jan
- Spontaneous neoplastic evolution of Chinese hamster cells in culture: multistep progression of karyotype.
- Authors: Cram LS, Bartholdi MF, Ray FA, Travis GL, Kraemer PM
- Issue date: 1983 Oct
- Spontaneous in vitro neoplastic evolution: selection of specific karyotypes in Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Kraemer PM, Ray FA, Bartholdi MF, Cram LS
- Issue date: 1987 Aug
- Aneuploidy precedes and segregates with chemical carcinogenesis.
- Authors: Duesberg P, Li R, Rasnick D, Rausch C, Willer A, Kraemer A, Yerganian G, Hehlmann R
- Issue date: 2000 Jun