Progesterone receptor measurement by isoelectric focusing: a potential microassay.
AffiliationUniversity Department of Surgery, Withington Hospital, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSixty-two selected breast cancers were used to compare the conventional dextran-coated charcoal (DCC) assay with a new method of separating progesterone receptor by isoelectric focusing in flat beds of agarose gel. Ninety assays were performed. Isoelectric focusing indicated correctly the presence of receptor in 92% and the absence of receptor in 86% of assays, when compared with the DCC assay. The relationship between the results of the two methods was linear. Isoelectric focusing underestimated receptor to a variable extent, finding relatively less receptor at higher absolute levels of binding than at lower levels. The lower limit of sensitivity of isoelectric focusing was 30 fmol/ml cytosol. The protein concentrations of cytosols prepared from 46 needle biopsy samples (mean weight 25 mg) ranged from 0.5 to 30 g/l (median 4 g/l, 10th percentile 0.75 g/l). Isoelectric focusing is a satisfactory method of progesterone receptor measurement and can be applied to samples too small for conventional techniques.
CitationProgesterone receptor measurement by isoelectric focusing: a potential microassay. 1983, 133 (2):159-68 Clin Chim Acta
JournalClinica Chimica Acta
- Improved method for assay of estradiol and progesterone receptors with special reference to breast cancer.
- Authors: Norgren A, Borg A, Fernö M, Johansson U, Lindahl B, Tsiobanelis K
- Issue date: 1982 Sep-Oct
- Isoelectric focusing of oestradiol receptor protein from human mammary carcinoma--a comparison with dextran coated charcoal assay.
- Authors: Lloyd EJ, Barnes DM, Skinner LG
- Issue date: 1982 Feb
- A comparison of two steroid receptor assays in breast cancer: dextran coated charcoal and isoelectric focusing.
- Authors: Fernö M, Borg A, Norgren A
- Issue date: 1983 Jul-Aug
- Comparison of enzyme immunoassay with dextran-coated charcoal method in the determination of progesterone receptor in breast cancer cytosols.
- Authors: Noguchi S, Miyauchi K, Imaoka S, Koyama H, Iwanaga T
- Issue date: 1988 Nov