Response of cell populations in tumor cords to a single dose of cyclophosphamide or radiation.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital Manchester UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have examined tumor cords of hepatoma 3924A in rats treated by 15 Gy of X-rays or 150 mg/kg of cyclophosphamide. Parameters measured were: cord thickness, cellular density, [3H]-TdR LI, MI and proportion of necrotic cells within the cord. With cyclophosphamide, a drop in cell density of 40% and in LI of 60% did not cause shrinkage of the cords. During the recovery phase, increase in cell number coincided with changes in the kinetics of the cell population adjacent to the capillary. For X-rays an approximately 10% decrease in cord thickness was associated with a rapid reduction in cell density and a relatively poor proliferative response of the cells adjacent to the vessel. There was little evidence for the sparing of remote cells with either agent. It did not appear that the progression of cells across the cord would be interrupted sufficiently for any 'spared' remote cells to participate in the therapeutic response.
CitationResponse of cell populations in tumor cords to a single dose of cyclophosphamide or radiation. 1983, 19 (1):73-9 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- Dynamic histology of a rat hepatoma and the response to 5-fluorouracil.
- Authors: Moore JV, Hopkins HA, Looney WB
- Issue date: 1980 Jan
- Solid tumor models for the assessment of different treatment modalities. XXI. Comparison of different radiation dose schedules alone or in combination with cyclophosphamide.
- Authors: Looney WB, Longerbeam MB, Hopkins HA, Carter WH Jr
- Issue date: 1983 Mar 15
- Solid tumor models for the assessment of different treatment modalities. XIII. Comparison of response and recovery of host and solid tumor to cyclophosphamide and radiation.
- Authors: Looney WB, Hopkins HA, Grover WH, Macleod MS, Ritenour ER, Hobson AS
- Issue date: 1980 Jun 1
- Changes in growth rate of an experimental solid tumor following increasing doses of cyclophosphamide.
- Authors: Looney WB, Ritenour ER, Hopkins HA
- Issue date: 1980 Jul
- The effect of varying the time between irradiation and cyclophosphamide on growth response of hepatoma 3924A.
- Authors: Hopkins HA, Ritenour ER, MacLeod MS, Looney WB
- Issue date: 1979 Sep