Lymphocyte migration into three-dimensional collagen matrices: a quantitative study.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLymphocytes have been plated onto the surface of three-dimensional gels of native collagen fibers, and their distribution throughout the three-dimensional collagen matrix has been determined in a quantitative fashion at various times thereafter. Information regarding the total number of applied cells may be obtained by this means. Lymphocyte penetration into the collagen gel does not appear to involve the expression of collagenolytic activity, nor does it require the presence of serum. Analysis of the kinetics of lymphocyte penetration into the gel matrix indicates that lymphocytes are migrating in a "random-walk" fashion. Our objective has been to establish a model system for studying the cell-matrix and cell-cell interactions which influence the pattern of lymphocyte recirculation in vivo and the results presented here are discussed in this context.
CitationLymphocyte migration into three-dimensional collagen matrices: a quantitative study. 1983, 96 (4):1089-96 J Cell Biol
JournalJournal of Cell Biology
- Cell migration through three-dimensional gels of native collagen fibres: collagenolytic activity is not required for the migration of two permanent cell lines.
- Authors: Schor SL, Allen TD, Harrison CJ
- Issue date: 1980 Dec
- Human leucocyte migration through collagen matrices containing other extracellular matrix components.
- Authors: Reid GG, Newman I
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- T lymphocyte infiltration of two- and three-dimensional collagen substrata by an adhesive mechanism.
- Authors: Sundqvist KG, Hauzenberger D, Hultenby K, Bergström SE
- Issue date: 1993 May
- Lymphocyte locomotion and attachment on two-dimensional surfaces and in three-dimensional matrices.
- Authors: Haston WS, Shields JM, Wilkinson PC
- Issue date: 1982 Mar
- Neutrophil and monocyte behaviour in three-dimensional collagen matrices.
- Authors: Brown AF
- Issue date: 1984