Stromal colonies from mouse marrow: characterization of cell types, optimization of plating efficiency and its effect on radiosensitivity.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractModifications to the colony assay in vitro for stromal progenitor cells in mouse femoral marrow have been studied so as to optimize the efficiency of colony formation (CFE). The highest reproducible concentration achieved was about 30 colonies (containing fibroblasts, macrophages and endothelioid cells) per 10(6) nucleated marrow cells (range 20-50) in mice 3-4 months old, and higher by 50% in mice 14-15 months old. Each of many slight technical modifications could reduce these values by more than 30%. The importance of optimization was demonstrated by a reduced radiosensitivity when the CFE was reduced by a factor of 3 using alpha-medium stored at 4 degrees C for 15 days. The D0 value was 3.9 +/- 0.8 Gy compared to 1.6 +/- 0.1 Gy using freshly prepared medium, and this could be due to the selection of a radioresistant subpopulation. The modifications studied may partly explain the marked variations in CFE and in radiosensitivity reported in the literature.
CitationStromal colonies from mouse marrow: characterization of cell types, optimization of plating efficiency and its effect on radiosensitivity. 1983, 61:453-66 J Cell Sci
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Gamma-ray-induced cell killing and chromosome abnormalities in the bone marrow of p53-deficient mice.
- Authors: Wang L, Cui Y, Lord BI, Roberts SA, Potten CS, Hendry JH, Scott D
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Ultrastructural and radiobiological characterization of stromal cells in continuous, long-term marrow culture.
- Authors: Tavassoli M
- Issue date: 1982
- [Radiosensitivity of stromal precursors and mature hematopoietic stromal cells in a culture].
- Authors: Drize NI, Gurevich OA, Chertkov IL
- Issue date: 1986 May-Jun
- Homing efficiency and hematopoietic reconstitution of bone marrow-derived stroma cells expanded by recombinant human macrophage-colony stimulating factor in vitro.
- Authors: Jin-Xiang F, Xiaofeng S, Jun-Chuan Q, Yan G, Xue-Guang Z
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- The response of stromal progenitor cells in mouse marrow to graded repeated doses of X rays or neutrons.
- Authors: Xu CX, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1983 Oct