Effects of culture conditions on the proliferation, morphology and migration of bovine aortic endothelial cells.
AffiliationCRC Laboratory of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVarious culture conditions, such as the presence of ascorbic acid, initial plating density and the nature of the substratum (plastic, gelatin or native collagen gels), influenced the growth, morphology and migration of three cloned populations of adult bovine aorta endothelial cells. Aorta endothelial cells showed two distinctive and reversible morphological phenotypes. Cells presenting a free apical surface were polygonal and formed sheets of overlapping or non-overlapping cells, depending on the culture conditions. When the cells were able to establish adhesive interactions over their entire cell surface they adopted an elongated shape and formed meshworks of interconnected 'sprouting' cells. The cells were capable of migrating into a collagen gel from both their basal and apical surfaces. Once in the gel, they formed characteristic, compact, three-dimensional meshworks.
CitationEffects of culture conditions on the proliferation, morphology and migration of bovine aortic endothelial cells. 1983, 62:267-85 J Cell Sci
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Basic fibroblast growth factor and transforming growth factor beta-1: synergistic mediators of angiogenesis in vitro.
- Authors: Gajdusek CM, Luo Z, Mayberg MR
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- An ultrastructural review of collagen gels, a model system for cell-matrix, cell-basement membrane and cell-cell interactions.
- Authors: Allen TD, Schor SL, Schor AM
- Issue date: 1984
- Synergistic effects of vascular endothelial growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor on the proliferation and cord formation of bovine capillary endothelial cells within collagen gels.
- Authors: Goto F, Goto K, Weindel K, Folkman J
- Issue date: 1993 Nov
- Interactions of vascular wall cells with collagen gels.
- Authors: Delvos U, Gajdusek C, Sage H, Harker LA, Schwartz SM
- Issue date: 1982 Jan
- Optimization of culture conditions for porcine corneal endothelial cells.
- Authors: Proulx S, Bourget JM, Gagnon N, Martel S, Deschambeault A, Carrier P, Giasson CJ, Auger FA, Brunette I, Germain L
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 3