AffiliationInstitut fur Radiologie der Universitat Erlangen-Nurnberg, D-8520 Erlangen, FR Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe reduction of bovine serum albumin (BSA) by hydrated electrons, formate and ethanol radicals leads to the formation of S-S-radicals. The reaction of the hydrated electrons becomes faster, if BSA was preirradiated in the presence of formate or ethanol, but the rate does not change if radiolysis is done in the presence of t-butanol or without scavenger. The reduction of BSA by formate radicals is 10 times slower but gives a higher yield of S-S-radicals than by hydrated electrons. The rate and yield of the reduction by the formate radicals are increased by preirradiation of BSA. The reduction by ethanol radicals is five times slower than by formate radicals and gives lower yields of S-S-radicals which are increased by preirradiation. All rates and yields of the reduction reactions are decreased by changing the pH from 6.3 to 7.3.
CitationRadiation-induced reduction reactions with bovine serum albumin. 1983, 43 (3):291-301 Int J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology and Related Studies in Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine
- Reactions of reducing radicals with ribonuclease.
- Authors: Schuessler H, Davies JV, Scherbaum W, Jung E
- Issue date: 1986 Nov
- Reactions of formate and ethanol radicals with bovine serum albumin studied by electrophoresis.
- Authors: Schuessler H, Freundl K
- Issue date: 1983 Jul
- Reactions of ethanol and formate radicals with ribonuclease A and bovine serum albumin in radiolysis.
- Authors: Schuessler H
- Issue date: 1981 Nov
- Oxidation reactions of a bovine serum albumin-bilirubin complex. A pulse radiolysis study.
- Authors: Adhikari S, Gopinathan C
- Issue date: 1996 Jan
- The effect of serum albumin on the radiolysis of DNA studied by constant field electrophoresis and compared to alterations caused by low molecular weight OH. scavengers.
- Authors: Distel LV, Schuessler H
- Issue date: 1997 Apr