AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract1. The lipid fluidity of three major rat liver plasma-membrane subfractions, as well as Golgi apparatus and endocytic fractions, was assessed with a fatty acid spin probe by using e.s.r. techniques. 2. The sinusoidal (blood-facing) plasma-membrane subfraction was the most fluid of the three plasma-membrane regions. Fractions originating from the bile-canalicular and contiguous (lateral) regions were most rigid. Endocytic fractions isolated (endosomes and diacytosomes) were of a similar fluidity to fractions originating from the sinusoidal plasma-membrane region. By far the most fluid fractions examined were derived from the Golgi-apparatus complex. 3. The three plasma-membrane subfractions each showed a different response to the bilayer-fluidizing effect of benzyl alcohol. 4. Arrhenius-type plots of the order parameter S and outer hyperfine splitting, 2T( parallel), identified lipid-phase separations in the plasma-membrane subfractions.
CitationThe lipid fluidity of rat liver membrane subfractions. 1983, 214 (3):851-4 Biochem J
- The lipid composition of plasma membrane subfractions originating from the three major functional domains of the rat hepatocyte cell surface.
- Authors: Kremmer T, Wisher MH, Evans WH
- Issue date: 1976 Dec 14
- The effect of changes in the fluid state of rat liver plasma membrane on the transport of taurocholate.
- Authors: Mills PR, Meier PJ, Smith DJ, Ballatori N, Boyer JL, Gordon ER
- Issue date: 1987 Jan-Feb
- Ethinylestradiol administration selectively alters liver sinusoidal membrane lipid fluidity and protein composition.
- Authors: Rosario J, Sutherland E, Zaccaro L, Simon FR
- Issue date: 1988 May 31
- Modulation of prolactin binding sites in vitro by membrane fluidizers. IV. Differential effects on plasma membrane and Golgi fractions of male prostate and female liver in the rat.
- Authors: Dave JR, Witorsch RJ
- Issue date: 1986 Feb 13