The relationship between antibody concentration and target cell number in the induction of K cell-mediated haemolysis: evidence for asymmetry among reactants.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cytotoxic capacity of peripheral blood mononuclear cells for anti-D sensitized human O Rh(D) + ve (R1R2) erythrocytes was measured under conditions where antibody concentrations and target cell number were varied with respect to each other. It was observed that where sensitization was limiting, due either to target cell excess or increased antibody dilution, the relationship between lysis and antibody concentration was non-linear, and that the end-point dilution of anti-D at which measurable cytotoxicity occurred was dependent upon the source or concentration of effector cells. The asymmetrical relationship between cytotoxic activity and the degree of sensitization suggests that, in this system at least, there is extensive heterogeneity either among target erythrocytes in terms of their degree of sensitization and consequent susceptibility to lysis, and/or among effector cells in terms of their sensitization requirements for induction of cytotoxicity.
CitationThe relationship between antibody concentration and target cell number in the induction of K cell-mediated haemolysis: evidence for asymmetry among reactants. 1983, 11 (4):189-95 J Clin Lab Immunol
JournalJournal of Clinical & Laboratory Immunology
- Human K cell-mediated haemolysis: determination of the cytotoxic capacity and antibody sensitization requirements of T lymphocyte enriched and depleted populations.
- Authors: Bakács T, Kimber I, Moore M
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- K cell mediated haemolysis: influence of large numbers of unsensitized cells on the antibody-dependent lysis of anti-D-sensitized erythrocytes by human lymphocytes.
- Authors: Bakács T, Kimber I, Ringwald G, Moore M
- Issue date: 1984 Jul
- Comparison of monocyte and complement mediated haemolysis of human A1 erythrocytes: the relationship between antibody, target and effector concentrations in the induction of lysis.
- Authors: Bakács T, Tótpál K, Ringwald G, Yefenof E
- Issue date: 1988 Feb
- Monocyte-mediated haemolysis: influence of antibody concentration on the inhibition of antibody-dependent lysis of human A1B erythrocytes by large numbers of unsensitized erythrocytes.
- Authors: Bakács T, Tótpál K, Ringwald G
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- Direct ADCC lysis of O,Rh-positive (R1R2) erythrocytes by lymphocytes of individuals sensitized against antigen D.
- Authors: Bakács T, Ringwald G, Jókuti I
- Issue date: 1982 Jan