The response of stromal progenitor cells in mouse marrow to graded repeated doses of X rays or neutrons.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAfter four repeated doses of 1.5 Gy X rays to mice (3-week intervals), the number of colonies containing fibroblasts that could be grown in vitro from femoral marrow recovered to control numbers by 80 days. After four higher doses, recovery was incomplete, and after four doses of 4.5 Gy, the number was half of the control level up to 1 year after irradiation. After four doses of 14.7 MeV neutrons, no threshold was detected for this late effect, and the RBE was about 2 at 4.5 Gy X rays and about 6 at 1.5 Gy X rays. The RBE for the acute effect on the stromal progenitor cells was also about 2 at 4.5 Gy X rays. The stromal progenitor cells could not be spared relative to hemopoietic stem cells (CFU-S) after neutrons, in contrast to the sparing observed after low-dose fractions of X rays. Experiments with local X irradiations of the leg, and with subcutaneous transplants of femora, revealed no significant recovery of stromal progenitor cells due to migration. However, recovery in situ could be enhanced slightly by marrow grafts i.v.
CitationThe response of stromal progenitor cells in mouse marrow to graded repeated doses of X rays or neutrons. 1983, 96 (1):82-9 Radiat Res
- Residual deficiencies in hemopoietic precursor cell populations after repeated irradiation of mice with x-rays or neutrons: dose-response relationships.
- Authors: Xu CX, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- The effects of graded doses of 1 MeV fission neutrons or X rays on the murine hematopoietic stroma.
- Authors: Meijne EI, Ploemacher RE, Vos O, Huiskamp R
- Issue date: 1992 Sep
- The effect of low dose rate on recovery of hemopoietic and stromal progenitor cells in gamma-irradiated mouse bone marrow.
- Authors: Gallini R, Hendry JH, Molineux G, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1988 Sep
- Sensitivity and recovery of stromal progenitor cells (CFU-F) in mouse bone marrow given gamma-irradiation at 0.65 Gy per day.
- Authors: Wang SB, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1987
- Greater sparing of stromal progenitor cells than of haemopoietic stem cells in gamma-irradiated mouse marrow using low dose-rates.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Wang SB, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1984