The application of scanning electron microscopy to cells in culture: selected methodologies.
AuthorsAllen, Terence D
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCell culture is one of the most widely used techniques in modern biology. As a result, morphology of culture systems at the ultrastructural level is also becoming more widespread. Whilst offering an optimum in terms of fixation accessibility, cells in tissue culture can present problems in terms of handling for scanning electron microscopy, particularly when they are grown on, or in semi-solid media, or on gels e.g. collagen. The examination of cultured cell suspensions or mixed cell populations may also require careful handling to produce meaningful results in terms of surface morphology and cellular interaction. Cells specifically cultured on carbon films can also be used for information of internal cell structure as well as surface topography, often simultaneously, if a suitable imaging system is available. This communication reviews a wide spectrum of experimental manipulations of cultured material to provide an introduction to the gathering of morphological information from material in tissue culture.
CitationThe application of scanning electron microscopy to cells in culture: selected methodologies. 1983 (Pt 4):1963-72 Scan Electron Microsc
JournalScanning Electron Microscopy
- An ultrastructural review of collagen gels, a model system for cell-matrix, cell-basement membrane and cell-cell interactions.
- Authors: Allen TD, Schor SL, Schor AM
- Issue date: 1984
- Effects of substrate texture and curvature on the morphology of cultured cells.
- Authors: Hogan ME, Degaetano DH, Klomparens KL
- Issue date: 1991 Jun
- Ultrastructural and functional differentiation of hepatocytes under long-term culture conditions.
- Authors: Knop E, Bader A, Böker K, Pichlmayr R, Sewing KF
- Issue date: 1995 Jul
- High voltage electron microscopy and low voltage scanning electron microscopy of human neoplastic cell culture.
- Authors: Malecki M
- Issue date: 1991
- Introduction to cells in culture as studied by SEM.
- Authors: Shay JW, Walker C
- Issue date: 1980