Occupational exposure in medicine--a review of radiation doses to hospital staff in north-west England.
AffiliationNational Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe personal monitoring service operated by the Regional Physics Department at the Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, monitors staff involved with the uses of ionising radiations at all hospitals and clinics administered by the North Western Region Health Authority in England. Monitoring results relating principally to exposure during 1981 have been collated and examined. The analysis indicates that the doses received by staff are for the most part very low and provide little reason for concern. The only area of work in which worthwhile and cost-effective dose reductions could probably be achieved is that involving the use of pre-loaded applicators in gynaecological intra-cavitary therapy. Some relatively high staff exposures result from the use of this technique, and very significant reductions in these doses are confidently expected from a programme which has now commenced for the increasing use of remotely-controlled after-loading equipment housed in shielded treatment rooms.
CitationOccupational exposure in medicine--a review of radiation doses to hospital staff in north-west England. 1983, 56 (670):729-35 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- A review of occupational exposure in the North-Western Region.
- Authors: Pratt TA, Sweeney JK
- Issue date: 1989 Aug
- Cost benefit analysis of radiological protection: a case study of remote after-loading in gynaecological radiotherapy.
- Authors: Fleishman AB, Notley HM, Wilkinson JM
- Issue date: 1983 Oct
- Assessment of personal occupational radiation exposures received by nuclear medicine and oncology staff in Punjab (2003-2012).
- Authors: Zafar T, Masood K, Zafar J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Radiation exposure of the staff at the therapeutic and diagnostic nuclear medicine department. A single centre six years' retrospective study.
- Authors: Dolezal J
- Issue date: 2008
- Doses from occupational exposure: a study of radiation doses to workers in Kuwait over a four-year period.
- Authors: Mustafa AA, Sabol J, Janeczek J
- Issue date: 1985 Dec