The formation of acetylaminofluorene adducts in poly(dC-dG) and poly(dA-dT) on reaction with N-acetoxy-2-acetylaminofluorene and the effect of such modification upon the polymers as templates for DNA polymerases.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractN-Acetoxy-2-acetylaminofluorene (AcO-AAF) reacts with the alternating DNA-like polynucleotides poly(dC-dG) and poly(dA-dT) in vitro to give adducts of the guanine and adenine bases similar to those reported to be formed in DNA. A previously unobserved guanine adduct was detected in the poly(dC-dG). Using a double-labelled [U-14C-dG, 8-3H-G]-poly(dC-dG) we show that this adduct does not involve the 7- or 8-positions of the guanine. Similarly a thymine adduct of unknown structure was observed in poly(dA-dT). Modification of the polymers with AcO-AAF inhibits their capacity to act as templates for Escherichia coli DNA polymerase I and mammalian DNA polymerase alpha although the binding of the polymerases to the polynucleotides is unaffected. Such modification also leads to an increase in the levels of non-complementary nucleotides incorporated into newly synthesised DNA.
CitationThe formation of acetylaminofluorene adducts in poly(dC-dG) and poly(dA-dT) on reaction with N-acetoxy-2-acetylaminofluorene and the effect of such modification upon the polymers as templates for DNA polymerases., 44 (1-2):95-110 Chem Biol Interact
- The induction of errors during in vitro DNA synthesis following chloroacetaldehyde-treatment of poly(dA-dT) and poly(dC-dG) templates.
- Authors: Hall JA, Saffhill R, Green T, Hathway DE
- Issue date: 1981
- Adduct formation between the carcinogen N-acetoxy-2-acetylaminofluorene and synthetic polydeoxyribonucleotides.
- Authors: Harvan DJ, Hass JR, Lieberman MW
- Issue date: 1977 May
- Alternative conformations of DNA modified by N-2-acetylaminofluorene.
- Authors: Grunberger D, Santella RM
- Issue date: 1981
- Conformational changes of poly(dG-dC) . poly(dG-dC) modified by the carcinogen N-acetoxy-N-acetyl-2-aminofluorene.
- Authors: Sage E, Leng M
- Issue date: 1981 Mar 11
- Comparisons of the fidelity of transcription of RNA polymerase I and II following N-hydroxy-2-acetylaminofluorene treatment.
- Authors: Glazer RI
- Issue date: 1978 Jul