The use of Selectron afterloading equipment to simulate and extend the Manchester System for intracavitary therapy of the cervix uteri.
AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, The Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhen Selectron afterloading machines were introduced in the Christie Hospital the first aim was to reproduce, as closely as possible, the isodose distributions achieved with the traditional Manchester Radium System. This resulted in the establishment of standard pellet loading patterns, and standard treatment times, for programming the Selectron channels. However, the availability of whole-body CT scanning facilities provides a method of accurately locating the source positions with respect to the local anatomy and hence the possibility of dosage control based on doses to specific pelvic structures. Various computer programs have been written to extract source position data from the CT images, to allow the operator to propose pellet loading patterns and treatment times, and ultimately to display the resultant isodose distribution superposed on the cross-sectional scans. The effects on the dose distribution arising from changing the number of pellets, the pellet positions within the applicators, and the treatment times, are briefly discussed.
CitationThe use of Selectron afterloading equipment to simulate and extend the Manchester System for intracavitary therapy of the cervix uteri. 1983, 56 (666):409-14 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Geometry adopted by Manchester radium applicators and Selectron afterloading applicators in intracavitary treatment for carcinoma cervix uteri.
- Authors: Jones DA, Notley HM, Hunter RD
- Issue date: 1987 May
- [Optimization of dose distribution in combined irradiation of uterine cervix cancer with gamma-ray cesium-137 and X-9 MeV].
- Authors: Lewocki M
- Issue date: 1996
- Source configuration and dose rates for the Selectron afterloading equipment for gynecologic applicators.
- Authors: Grigsby PW, Williamson JF, Perez CA
- Issue date: 1992
- Gynaecological treatments using the Selectron remote afterloading system.
- Authors: Dean EM, Lambert GD, Dawes PJ
- Issue date: 1988 Nov
- Morbidity following low-dose-rate selectron therapy for cervical cancer.
- Authors: Sherrah-Davies E
- Issue date: 1985 Mar