Single daily dose short term carbimazole therapy for hyperthyroid Graves' disease.
AffiliationThe Christie Hospital, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwenty-one patients with hyperthyroid Graves' disease were treated with carbimazole 30 mg daily, given as a single dose. Propranolol was also given for the first 3 weeks. All became clinically euthyroid with normal serum thyroxine (T4) levels, usually within 1-3 months. Patients with large goitres and raised serum alkaline phosphatase concentrations took longer to respond. In 19 patients a positive thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) response to intravenous thyrotrophin releasing hormone (TRH) developed. Carbimazole was stopped soon after (median time of treatment 18 weeks, range 9-41 weeks) and 18 patients have been followed. Seven of these (39%) have remained in remission from hyperthyroidism for more than one year (median 77 weeks). Carbimazole 30 mg once daily is a convenient and effective treatment for hyperthyroid Graves' disease. Many patients will achieve prolonged remissions if treatment is stopped when serum T3 and T4 levels are in the low-normal range, usually 2-4 months after clinical euthyroidism has been reached.
CitationSingle daily dose short term carbimazole therapy for hyperthyroid Graves' disease. 1983, 18 (6):557-61 Clin Endocrinol
- The thyrotrophin response to thyrotrophin releasing hormone during treatment in patients with Graves' disease.
- Authors: Haug E, Frey HM, Sand T
- Issue date: 1977 Jun
- [Serum thyroid hormones and TSH response to TRH during treatment of Graves' disease by carbimazole (author's transl)].
- Authors: Lorcy Y, Heim J, Auvray E, Allannic H
- Issue date: 1979 Jul-Aug
- Effect of thyrotropin-releasing hormone on serum thyroid hormones: a study in the patients with untreated and treated Graves' disease and subacute thyroiditis.
- Authors: Sato A, Yamada T, Aizawa T, Ichikawa K, Komiya I, Takasu N, Takemura Y
- Issue date: 1995 Jul
- Lack of effect of thyroxine in patients with Graves' hyperthyroidism who are treated with an antithyroid drug.
- Authors: McIver B, Rae P, Beckett G, Wilkinson E, Gold A, Toft A
- Issue date: 1996 Jan 25
- A randomized trial of short-term treatment of Graves' disease with high-dose carbimazole plus thyroxine versus low-dose carbimazole.
- Authors: Grebe SK, Feek CM, Ford HC, Fagerström JN, Cordwell DP, Delahunt JW, Toomath RJ
- Issue date: 1998 May