Regulation of haemopoiesis in long-term bone marrow cultures. IV. Glycosaminoglycan synthesis and the stimulation of haemopoiesis by beta-D-xylosides.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSulfated glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) are distributed in consistent and distinctive patterns between the cell surface and the growth medium of haemopoietically active long-term bone marrow cultures. Heparan sulfate is the main cell surface component and chondroitin sulfate is the major sulfated species in the medium. When the cultures are supplemented with beta-D-xylosides a significant increase in chondroitin sulfate synthesis is observed but no stimulation of heparan sulfate synthesis occurs. The chondroitin sulfate accumulates in the culture medium in beta-D-xyloside-treated cultures but the composition of sulfated GAGs in cell-surface derived material is unaffected. beta-D-xylosides also stimulate the production of haemopoietic cells without any apparent alteration in the adherent stromal cells of the marrow cultures. Equivalent increases are obtained in cells at all stages of development so that a fivefold increase in pluripotent stem cells (CFU-S) is matched by fivefold increase in the granulocyte-macrophage progenitors (GM-CFC) and in mature granulocytes. The stimulation persists for many weeks in beta-D-xyloside-treated cultures. These results indicate that the sulfated GAGs may play an important role in the regulation of haemopoiesis.
CitationRegulation of haemopoiesis in long-term bone marrow cultures. IV. Glycosaminoglycan synthesis and the stimulation of haemopoiesis by beta-D-xylosides. 1983, 96 (2):510-4 J Cell Biol
JournalJournal of Cell Biology
- Role of the cellular matrix in haemopoiesis. I. Synthesis of glycosaminoglycans by mouse bone marrow cell cultures.
- Authors: Gallagher JT, Spooncer E, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1983 Sep
- The effect of transforming growth factor-beta 1 on glycosaminoglycan production by human marrow cultures.
- Authors: Uhlman DL, Mooradian DL, Furcht LT, Luikart SD
- Issue date: 1990 Nov
- Effects of beta-xylosides on proteoglycan biosynthesis and morphology of PC12 pheochromocytoma cells and primary cultures of rat cerebellum.
- Authors: Margolis RK, Goossen B, Tekotte H, Hilgenberg L, Margolis RU
- Issue date: 1991 Jun
- Estradiol beta-D-xyloside, an efficient primer for heparan sulfate biosynthesis.
- Authors: Lugemwa FN, Esko JD
- Issue date: 1991 Apr 15
- Haemopoiesis in long-term cultures of liver, spleen and bone marrow of pre- and postnatal mice: CFU-GM production.
- Authors: Van Den Heuvel RL, Schoeters GE, Vanderborght OL
- Issue date: 1988 Nov