Treatment of advanced prostatic cancer with LHRH analogue ICI 118630: clinical response and hormonal mechanisms.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Urology and Medical Oncology, Christie and Withington Hospitals, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract9 of 12 patients with advanced metastatic carcinoma of the prostate treated with luteinising-hormone-releasing-hormone (LHRH) analogue ICI 118630 for a mean period of 6 months showed objective evidence of response to treatment. Of 8 patients with bone pain, 7 obtained relief. After 6 weeks of treatment testosterone concentrations were reduced to castrate levels (range less than 2 to 5.5 nmol/l) from a pretreatment mean value of 15.7 nmol/l (range 10.3-24 nmol/l). Basal gonadotropin levels and gonadotropin responses to acute LHRH stimulation were suppressed within 2 weeks of treatment. However, the testosterone response to stimulation with human chorionic gonadotropin was unimpaired 4 weeks after the start of treatment. Therefore suppression of the basal testosterone concentration by ICI 118630 was due to inhibition of pituitary luteinising-hormone secretion rather than direct inhibition of testicular Leydig-cell function. ICI 118630 offers an alternative treatment to orchidectomy and oestrogen therapy.
CitationTreatment of advanced prostatic cancer with LHRH analogue ICI 118630: clinical response and hormonal mechanisms. 1983, 2 (8347):415-9 Lancet
- Therapeutic potential of the LHRH agonist, ICI 118630, in the treatment of advanced prostatic carcinoma.
- Authors: Walker KJ, Nicholson RI, Turkes AO, Turkes A, Griffiths K, Robinson M, Crispin Z, Dris S
- Issue date: 1983 Aug 20
- Prostatic cancer: treatment with long-acting LHRH analogue.
- Authors: Williams G, Allen JM, O'Shea JP, Mashiter K, Doble A, Bloom SR
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- Preliminary report on use of depot formulation of LHRH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) in patients with prostatic cancer.
- Authors: Ahmed SR, Grant J, Shalet SM, Howell A, Chowdhury SD, Weatherson T, Blacklock NJ
- Issue date: 1985 Jan 19
- Androgen level variations, clinical response to LHRH agonists and changes in the quality of life subscales in metastatic prostate cancer--speculations about possible role of the monoamine system.
- Authors: Popov I, Jelić S, Radosavljević D, Nikolić-Tomasević Z
- Issue date: 1997
- Advanced carcinoma of the prostate: treatment with a gonadotrophin releasing hormone agonist.
- Authors: Allen JM, O'Shea JP, Mashiter K, Williams G, Bloom SR
- Issue date: 1983 May 21