Abdomino-pelvic computed tomography in the management of ovarian carcinoma.
AffiliationDepartment of Diagnostic Radiology, Christie Hospital, Manchester,
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract121 CT scans were obtained in 75 women with ovarian cancer, including 108 scans of the abdomen and pelvis and 13 of the pelvis alone. 70 patients had epithelial carcinoma. In 48 cases, pelvic CT was performed within 3 weeks after surgery, confirming the operative findings in all but 6. In the abdomen, CT identified intrahepatic deposits and minimal ascites not seen at surgery; however, small peritoneal deposits not usually shown by CT were readily found at surgery. CT was superior to clinical examination, detecting unsuspected disease and delineating areas of known disease more accurately. It was also helpful in assessing suitability for repeat laparotomy. In 7 cases, CT demonstrated an operable lesion which had been thought to be inoperable. In 65 cases (59%), CT contributed additional information which was helpful in management, proving it to be an important noninvasive investigation in patients with ovarian carcinoma.
CitationAbdomino-pelvic computed tomography in the management of ovarian carcinoma. 1983, 146 (2):447-52 Radiology
- Metastatic carcinoma of the breast: the appearances of metastatic spread to the abdomen and pelvis as demonstrated by CT.
- Authors: Brookes M, MacVicar D, Husband J
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Correlation of abdominal ultrasound and computed tomography scans with second- or third-look laparotomy in patients with ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Lund B, Jacobsen K, Rasch L, Jensen F, Olesen K, Feldt-Rasmussen K
- Issue date: 1990 May
- Hepatocellular carcinoma presenting as primary extrahepatic mass on CT.
- Authors: Longmaid HE 3rd, Seltzer SE, Costello P, Gordon P
- Issue date: 1986 May
- Computed tomography of ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Kalovidouris A, Gouliamos A, Pontifex G, Gennatas K, Dardoufas K, Papavasiliou C
- Issue date: 1984
- Subcapsular liver metastasis in ovarian cancer. Computed tomography and surgical staging.
- Authors: Triller J, Goldhirsch A, Reinhard JP
- Issue date: 1985 Nov